PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU has narrowed it down to two coaches

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU has narrowed it down to two coaches

Postby leopold » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:53 pm

From the DMN:

SMU officials have two finalists for the men’s basketball head coaching position according to multiple sources.
Assistant coaches Jimmy Tubbs (Oklahoma) and Norm Roberts (Kansas) are expected to meet university officials and tour the SMU athletic facility today.
Tubbs, who owns a home in DeSoto, declined comment.
Roberts didn’t return phone calls seeking comment.
SMU athletic director Jim Copeland said he does not comment on prospective candidates.
University sources said a final decision on who will be named coach could occur by the end of this week.
During the search to replace Mike Dement, who was fired on Feb. 27, Copeland said the university wouldn’t have a timetable to hire a coach.
SMU president Gerald Turner said last week he hoped to finalize the deal by the Final Four.
Tubbs, a 1972 graduate of Bishop College, spent eight seasons at Kimball High School where he won a Class 5A state title in 1990. He left Kimball for SMU and served as an assistant under Dement and John Shumate.
Tubbs joined Oklahoma in May 2002.
Tubbs, 55, is known as a defensive coach and a strong recruiter. He’s so highly thought of, OU coach Kelvin Sampson allowed Tubbs to miss the Sooners first round NIT game against LSU to recruit. At SMU, Tubbs successfully recruited current Mustang players Bryan Hopkins and Justin Isham as well as others.
Roberts, a 1987 graduate of Queens, N.Y. College, is considered a good recruiter who teaches perimeter player development.
He was an excellent player at Queens College. He is the school’s second all-time leading scorer and is the career leader in steals and assists. He had his number retired by the school in 1993.
Roberts, 38, was a head coach at Queens College from 1992-95.
The Queens, N.Y. born Roberts has been an assistant coach at Oral Roberts (1996-97), Tulsa (1998-2000), Illinois (2001-03) and Kansas (2003-present).
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:05 am

I'm obviously a fan of Mike Dement, but I've also come to realize that it was time for a change. I'm not sure why, but I have a gut feeling Roberts is going to get the job. And the more I read about him, the more I think that might not be a bad thing. I think Jimmy Tubbs is great, and would enjoy great success here, but I'm starting to think Roberts also could do the job.
Dement-ed
All-American

What happened to Dickey (OSU)?

Postby FWMustang » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:39 am

I read he was interested in pursuing the job. Why not give it a couple of more weeks to wait on him?

The only reason I remember him being fired at Tech was that AD Meyers wanted "Hey Knight, What's up?!?!" They had had a couple of bad years, but surely he has the experience and recruiting ties.

Not trying to knock the other two candidates, but neither has HC experience, and Dickey does.

On a side note, wouldn't it have great if our Head FB coach had been Darrell Dickey and Head BB coach was James Dickey? :shock: I know that comment just shot any credibility I had left, but I couldn't resist. :oops:
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:40 am

I wouldn't necessarily say it was just "a couple of bad years" there for Dickey. Try the last 4 seasons he was coach there,which were losing seasons. Not much to write home about there.
I also think that Dickey has some definite baggage he brings along with him. I seem to recall there was a bit of an issue with their program dealing with NCAA violations related to athletics. If SMU was wanting an experienced coach with baggage then they should have gone after Penders or Eustachy. The experience he has a head coach isn't worth the wait.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:08 am

Not sure if anyon posted this before

BIOGRAPHY:

Norm Roberts' title at KU is associate head coach Ѡthe same title he held his final season at the U of I. Roberts also worked on Self's staff three years in Tulsa and for two seasons at Oral Roberts, helping the schools to five postseason appearances, including two NCAA Elite Eight and one NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearance.

One of the top recruiters in the country, Roberts helped Illinois land a top-10 recruiting class in 2002 that included McDonald's All-American Dee Brown, James Augustine, Aaron Spears, Deron Williams and Kyle Wilson.
At Kansas, Roberts' primary duties include recruiting and scouting, as well as perimeter player development.

Roberts went to Oral Roberts following four years as head coach at his alma mater, Queens College, and four years as the freshman coach at Archbishop Molloy High in New York, where he coached current NBA point guard Kenny Anderson.

A 1987 graduate of Queens College, Roberts is the school's second all-time leading scorer with 1,719 points. He also is the career leader in steals and assists, and had his number (15) retired by his alma mater in 1993.
Born July 21, 1965, in Queens, N.Y., he and his wife, Pascale, have two sons, Nicholas and Justin. Roberts is a member of the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and Black Coaches Association.

"He is as good as it gets," Self said of Roberts.

Roberts says: "This is exciting. It's a great opportunity. Kansas is an unbelievable place. It's one of the top programs in the nation. ... I've had opportunities to interview and be involved with different jobs, but I've really enjoyed working with Bill Self. He gives me a lot of freedom to work. He's a faithful guy. You stay with guys that are successful
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:25 am

My compliments to the Committee and Copeland. In my opinion, they have clearly narrowed it down to the best two candidates available for this job. SMU can't really "lose" now. I like Roberts, I'm not here to disparage him at all, but I think there are candidates like Roberts fairly often. Heck, it would be almost identical to TCU hiring Neil Doughtery from Kansas two years ago. Thats not necessarily bad, it just seems to me we can always hire that type next year, 3 years from now or 5. Tubbs is a more unique fit and he is an SMU guy.

ps. Yes, Dooby I still support Tubbs, but this has a new context now. You still support Kathy Bates?
Hoop Fan

Postby gostangs » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:28 am

Just a hunch - but I would bet on Roberts - he must still be in because he is impressive - it would be the obvious thing for Copeland to just grab Tubbs - that they have not yet means Roberts is our new coach. - Or not.
gostangs

Postby BUS » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:35 am

I hope that it is Tubbs. We do have two very good choices. The difference maker for me is NOT Tubbs and recruiting though that is another of his assets.

The key point is that I think Tubbs will bring Dallas and Dallas families into Moody. SMU/Dallas guy - Win Win

Tubbs for coach!!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby BigEasyPony » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:38 am

Neither of the two (2) finalists was my choice, but it appears that the committee feels they were the best fit for SMU. My vote would be for Norm Roberts. He definitely knows what it takes to win having been around Bill Self for so long. I think either candidate can do a good job, but I think SMU really needs to get this one right. It will be interesting to see where the other candidates surface in the future.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Win - Win Situation

Postby The Falcon » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:58 am

I echo Hoop Fan's comments above. I believe we are in a good situtation with the two finalists. I have been a Tubbs supporter for a long time even though I don't know him personally. As far as knowing how to win, I think his high school record at Kimball speaks for itself.

Here is a quote from the DMN from 1992.

"Tubbs leaves Kimball with a 232-42 record in eight seasons, including five of 30 or more victories.

Tubbs, who coached a pressing defense and controlled running game at Kimball, long has been talked about as someone who would flourish in college." - DMN 1992.

Think on that record in a very tough DISD league. That equates to
almost 30 wins and 5 losses per year for 8 years.

I also agree with other posters - he will put more fans into Moody (something we sorely need) because of the up-tempo style he likes to play and because Dallas h.s. coaches support him, and because he is a well liked Dallas person who will bring friends and well wishers to see him succeed.

No one guarantee that Jimmy can get us to the dance but I hope they give him a try. If not, Roberts looks like a good choice also - he just doesn't have as many plusses regarding connections to Dallas, recruiting Dallas, or putting fans in the seats.

Stampede - could you expound a little on Tubbs' ability to recruit foreign players that you mentioned in an earlier post??
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:10 am

BigEasy, who was your choice all along? And of the two, why do you prefer Roberts to Tubbs?

Honestly, it seems you really have an issue with Tubbs if he was no better than your 3rd choice and maybe not even that.
Last edited by Hoop Fan on Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:28 am

I think the committee did a very good job. IMO, these are the two best candidates. Tubbs is still my choice but I will be happy with either.
LA_Mustang

Tubbs PROVEN

Postby moodymadness » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:32 am

This fact still remains and is the deciding factor in my mind btw two highly qualified candidates...Tubbs has proven that he can recruit at SMU while Roberts has proven he can recruit at Illinois and Kansas. Tubbs was able to sell a basketball program in the sub-par WAC, with zero media exposure, no recent success, and little fan support. While Roberts was able to sell basketball programs in big time conferences, with great basketball tradition, with great tv exposure, and with great fan support. Tubbs is PROVEN AT SMU and that is the deciding factor in my opinion.
moodymadness
Recruit

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:39 am

That's a very good point moody and has always been the deciding factor in my opinion. One other big factor is that if Roberts came here and turned this thing around he would be gone the next year.
LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:46 am

both good points. I hadn't really worried about that LA, but youre right, Roberts would be gone to A&M or whereever in a heartbeat. If you look at his mentor, Bill Self, he has kept moving. If you look at his peer on Selfs staff, Billy Gillespie, he appears to be on the move after one good year at Utep. As much as its logical to assume Roberts is a talented guy coming from Selfs staff, you can also assume he will follow that M.O.
Hoop Fan

Next

Return to Basketball