PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is there a Game Today?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is there a Game Today?

Postby BUS » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:04 pm

First, I am not a basketball guy. My body was never suited for this game. I do admire the abilities the game demands as I have none of those skills.

From what I read earlier - This team is not good... don't know about the coach... We can't win in conference... and then this board has no interest in this game.... PREGAME predictions, who is going...etc.

WOW, to go on the road at Memphis and almost win - WHAT A GREAT SHOWING. The coach has these guys playing hard. Last year we won 10 games total, and we already have 10 this year.

It takes time to gel, and I see that happening. Marked improvement from last year on the talent side.

SMU will go some tournament and that is a big step up!
Go Mustangs
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:31 pm

bubba pony wrote:
Lebanese4Life wrote:Shame. Would've been a nice road win to add to the resume. Can't win a ball game when u make 3 threes all game

3 out of 21, 3 point shots. I don't get why the coach allows so many selfish shots.

Some claim that teams not used to playing in arenas as large as FedEx have trouble gauging the three pointers. Has to do with perspective of the basket relative to the rest of the building. Maybe the Mustangs should practice at the AA center the week before playing in such a place.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Arkpony » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:29 pm

Apparently this team: good defense, mediocre offense.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:16 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
bubba pony wrote:
Lebanese4Life wrote:Shame. Would've been a nice road win to add to the resume. Can't win a ball game when u make 3 threes all game

3 out of 21, 3 point shots. I don't get why the coach allows so many selfish shots.

Hardly selfish shots. This team hits threes at a much higher percentage than it's opponents (usually) and has several guards hitting threes at 40% or better which is outstanding. When they have open looks, they have the green light to take them, especially when the team is in position to grab offensive boards which they also do pretty well. Harris, Edwards and J. Smith went 0-12 yesterday which is very uncharacteristic for them and Lanier's minutes were limited and he didn't even attempt a shot (he's our best three point shooter this year). Give Memphis' D some credit but our guys just had an off night. it happens and the good news is that despite their being "off" they almost beat a pretty good Memphis team on their own court. I'm as encouraged as ever about this team and program right now.

I agree that selfish was too harsh, but I would say too quick on the draw many times. I hate having to live or die by the three. I’m encouraged as well about this team, and the defense has been outstanding.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball