PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is there a Game Today?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is there a Game Today?

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:35 pm

We look terrible offensively

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:36 pm

Memphis has never lead, but I think that’s going to change soon
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:59 pm

Can we hit one 3? Just ONE?

Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:03 pm

playing good defense will allow you to compete with more talented teams but when all is said and done the team with more guys who can score will win more often than not. SMU shooting really poorly and Memphis now approaching 50%
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:06 pm

I was hoping our shooting percentage would improve in the second half to go along with our nice lead. Didn’t happen, and our ball movement sucks.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:14 pm

There’s still hope somehow
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:14 pm

Harris has been ice cold since coming back from the break. Need him to get turned around but SMU hanging tough
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:18 pm

Most animated I’ve seen coach Lanier
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:32 pm

Shame. Would've been a nice road win to add to the resume. Can't win a ball game when u make 3 threes all game

Last edited by Lebanese4Life on Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby GHammond » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:50 pm

Do the 18 ACTer Memphis fandom have any idea what “Whopp That Trick” (what they were chanting at games end) means - represents? Crazy days, folks, crazy days….PonyUp!
GHammond
Varsity

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:06 pm

Caught the end of the game. As always, this team plays hard, strong and physical, long arms but extremely limited on the offensive end.

By the way, was that jump ball call, correct? It didn’t seem like a jump ball to me in that both had similar type of control.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby bubba pony » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:06 am

Lebanese4Life wrote:Shame. Would've been a nice road win to add to the resume. Can't win a ball game when u make 3 threes all game

3 out of 21, 3 point shots. I don't get why the coach allows so many selfish shots.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:12 am

GHammond wrote:Do the 18 ACTer Memphis fandom have any idea what “Whopp That Trick” (what they were chanting at games end) means - represents? Crazy days, folks, crazy days….PonyUp!

Sadly, they absolutely do. It's by a Memphis rapper and comes from "Hustle and Flow," a movie about Memphis pimps and dope dealers and a young man's quest to become a rap star. Grizzlies fans started using it when the movie premiered.

They haven't figured out that glorifying pimps beating women is morally wrong. That moral vacuum may help explain these Memphis news items:

https://www.actionnews5.com/2023/11/21/memphis-has-broken-homicide-record-new-numbers-show/

https://wreg.com/news/local/memphis-ranked-4-in-the-country-for-most-car-thefts/
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:29 am

bubba pony wrote:
Lebanese4Life wrote:Shame. Would've been a nice road win to add to the resume. Can't win a ball game when u make 3 threes all game

3 out of 21, 3 point shots. I don't get why the coach allows so many selfish shots.

Hardly selfish shots. This team hits threes at a much higher percentage than it's opponents (usually) and has several guards hitting threes at 40% or better which is outstanding. When they have open looks, they have the green light to take them, especially when the team is in position to grab offensive boards which they also do pretty well. Harris, Edwards and J. Smith went 0-12 yesterday which is very uncharacteristic for them and Lanier's minutes were limited and he didn't even attempt a shot (he's our best three point shooter this year). Give Memphis' D some credit but our guys just had an off night. it happens and the good news is that despite their being "off" they almost beat a pretty good Memphis team on their own court. I'm as encouraged as ever about this team and program right now.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:39 am

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:Caught the end of the game. As always, this team plays hard, strong and physical, long arms but extremely limited on the offensive end.

By the way, was that jump ball call, correct? It didn’t seem like a jump ball to me in that both had similar type of control.

I initially thought it was a block and that our guy regained possession after the block, then tried to go up again but was fouled. Haven't watched the replay but if both players "controlled" the ball it's absolutely a jump ball. I thought Smith had been separated from the ball at initial contact which would make it a block but I would have to watch the replay to see if that was the case.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball