PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB vs ECU Game Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MBB vs ECU Game Thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:15 pm

SMU with 16 assists on 27 FGs played really good team basketball today. SMU with 16 assists vs 11 turnovers with a couple coming late from sloppy play but compare to ECU's 6 assists vs 12 turnovers. I really like the team chemistry Lanier has developed with these guys. We shot better than 43% while holding ECU to 27% on their home court
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:16 pm

Really nice win, and I like Lanier. He was a head scratcher hire for me, but I like what I see and hear. We have a shot in this conference this year imo.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:22 pm

Hop Sing wrote:Really nice win, and I like Lanier. He was a head scratcher hire for me, but I like what I see and hear. We have a shot in this conference this year imo.

He's really go these guys buying into being a tough defensive bunch and Phelps and Williamson are huge factors in that. Neither guy is going to impress you as a great shooter but they are tenacious on D and the whole team has bought in. Impressive team D and a deep roster so these guys will absolutely compete at the upper level of the AAC. Wasn't sure about that coming into this season
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:23 pm

SMU with 8 steals and 8 blocks today. That's tough D everywhere on the court
Charleston Pony

Postby Topper » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:22 pm

Keep hitting FTs and this team will be a factor in the AAC. Williamson is coming into his own from the field and Phelps has been freed up to be Phelps. Jalen is quickly becoming my favorite player.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:42 pm

Frustrating as hell and hasn't proven he can teach the team to close out games against good teams but the numbers are very impressive and I'm on board for now. You can't argue against 38 in NET, 45 in Kenpom, and 56 in BPI.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:22 pm

Huge improvement from year one to year two but it remains to be seen how this season plays out and it will have to get better to compete next year
Charleston Pony

Postby indianmustang » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:46 pm

mustangxc wrote:Frustrating as hell and hasn't proven he can teach the team to close out games against good teams but the numbers are very impressive and I'm on board for now. You can't argue against 38 in NET, 45 in Kenpom, and 56 in BPI.

if we won those ASU and Dayton we would be on the NCAA Cutline
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:30 am

That is why I started my assessment by saying frustrating as hell. We are so close to having an NCAA tournament resume but unfortunately blew our opportunity. Unless we manage to win the conference tournament we probably are a lock for the NIT.
mustangxc

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:44 am

The Wisconsin loss was also a frustrating one. If we could have made free throws, we would have won that game, and they are now Top 20.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Previous

Return to Basketball