PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Interesting Tidbit

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Interesting Tidbit

Postby OldPony » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:34 pm

Of the Sweet 16, 4 schools have baskeball player graduation rates of over 50%. Welcome to the world of "student athletes". KU was the leader at 73% and the other 3 were Duke, Vandy and Xavier. OSU was an impressive 33%. Somebody need to point those Cowboys horses towrd the classroom. Long live Bob Huggins. He makes all the rest look good.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:28 pm

thought that was interesting also. Texas's rate was pathetic for such a good school. I only know of one early defection to the NBA in Ford, so they dont really have that excuse. I guess it just goes to show nobody cares about graduation. Not even the NCAA despite whatever lip service you hear.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:42 pm

Actually OP has a solution. After 5 years, every coach without a 50% graduation rate must wear a dunce cap while on the bench. Players who are not on track to graduate must wear "Idiot" badges on the court. People like Jim Harrick who cheat to get their kids passed must wear penetentiary stripes (along with a dunce cap). None get to play in the tourney. I think we would have student athletes again but even if we don't, this would be so much fun that the tourney would be the biggest draw ever. What would Bob Huggins look like in a dunce cap? Eddie Sutton? I think it would be a lot of fun.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:53 pm

And we can get a dunce cap and a straight jacket for Knight.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

interesting tidbit about grades

Postby tmustangp » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:32 pm

Old pony i like ur ideas.. that would be funny to see bob huggins in a dunce cap.. did you know he has graduated one player in his tenure-Kenyon Martin-
yah thats what i love about the ncaa cause w/ football they talk how a tournment would hurt the academics of the players... now how many classes do you think the cowboys have attend these last two weeks.. they have traveling all over the country and concentrating on winning
-to finish my football comment every division below DI has a higher grad rate than DI and they somehow have a tournament

"We want Jimmy, we want Jimmy" Tubbs that is...
tmustangp
All-American

Return to Basketball