PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: men's basketball at UNT

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: men's basketball at UNT

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:53 am

Take away that Williamson foul and we win the game. Their guy made 2 of 3 free throws. Where did that 3 point shooter come from late? Suddenly, he was draining threes. They play good defense as well. It was a great game to watch. Both of these teams will continue to be relevant in the AAC this season.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby shadowman » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:40 am

Was at the game last night. Disappointing that there were not more Mustang fans. UNT's crowd and students really showed up. They had over 2,000 students at the game and they were loud and engaged all night. The Super Pit is a really nice arena, I was impressed and it got really loud when they were all cheering at once.

As far as the game goes, that was a classic battle, very fun to watch. UNT is a very good team. Without looking at the stats, the one thing that stood out to me is that we did not get as many steals as we normally do. We had some high quality traps but they mostly handled it well and got several easy baskets/wide open 3s by getting it to the open man out of the double team. It really came down to UNT shooting lights out from the 3 point line down the stretch and we could not quite overcome it. In spite of all of that, we had a wide open three at the buzzer to win, it just didn't fall.

SMU handled the high pressure atmosphere well. I was also at the Memphis game and this crowd was more hostile and more loud than Memphis, but the Ponies handled it well. Definitely the most hostile environment we have had all year.

Was a great game and Phelps was so great last night. I definitely think we will build off this and can hopefully go another run and put a bunch of Ws together.

In parting, I will say that the UNT fans were very pleasant. Despite being one of the few families there in full SMU gear, nobody was mean. A couple of frat boys did yell some insults at us in the parking lot after the game, but nothing over the line, and they were just having fun in victory.

Was a great experience and a great game to see in person, except for the outcome.

/cheers
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby digman52 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:34 am

That was the best defensive game by both teams that I have ever watched. We got cold for a spell in the second half, but still had a good look at the 3 at the end.

I don't remember any games during the Larry years that rivaled this one for tough defense play. How anyone can be calling for Lanier's job in beyond me. Guess I'll have to hide a few others.
digman52
Junior Varsity

Postby Topper » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:45 pm

I was not sold on Lanier last year but I can't imagine anyone seriously saying that he needs to go at this point.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby highlander » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:41 pm

I think if this season ends like we all think it will (a bubble team that ends up as a high seed in the NIT), then Lanier should get at least another year. Arrow is definitely pointing up.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Hop Sing » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:25 am

I was at the game last night way couple of friends, and it was a great game. I don’t think there was ever a lead higher than 5 points, and it was just a real battle. Would have been awesome to win with the last shot, but there was no shame in that loss. That is a very good team that will be in the mix for the AAC championship this year imo. Give UNT credit for a great crowd and atmosphere too. Beat Wichita Sunday and keep rolling. This thing ain’t over by a long shot.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball