PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Two finalists meet with Copeland and Turner

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:50 pm

BigEasy,

I think you are greatly underestimating the influence and power of the Tubbs connection to DISD. Would he get all the great DISD players? No. But he WOULD land a few that SMU has only dreamed about in the past. I know some of you think why didn't SMU get more DISD players when he was here as an assistant. That’s because it was not HIS program. He was having to sell Dement as much as he was selling SMU. If Jimmy Tubbs were able to walk into these kids homes, sit down with the parents and tell them they should come play for HIM, in HIS system, at a great school, in their hometown, in front of their friends and family. I really believe that you and many others would be shocked at what he could accomplish. Nothing is ever a given but I believe it would be one of the most important and successful hires this school has ever made.
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re:

Postby Dooby » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:58 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:If Roberts was the "longtime" first assistant to Self, why did Billy Gillespie get a head coaching job before Roberts? Gillespie was the first assistant to Self at Illinois, not Roberts. Roberts is qualified, but really no more so than Tubbs. Tubbs has the intangibles too.

I wasn't trying to imply otherwise.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BigEasyPony » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:21 pm

I don't remember claiming Roberts was the "longtime" top ranked assistant. Roberts has only been the top assistant to Self for two (2) years: his last year at Illinois and his 1st year at Kansas.

As for me underestimating Tubbs' recruiting ability. Perhaps and I am willing to admit that, but you also have to be willing to admit that you may be overestimating his ability to make a reference that he would "own" Dallas. Frankly, if Tubbs got the job he would get some quality recruits from the metroplex and may in fact do a better job of doing so than if Roberts were the HC, but Roberts would also recruit quite well so though Tubbs may have an edge in the metroplex I don't know if he would have an overall edge in recruiting top ranked players.

Also, this is not only about recruiting there is a lot more to HC than just recruiting and despite its importance we should not only focus on that. When you take into account the other factors it is just a guess as to how each of the coaches would do as a HC.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:30 pm

I like them both - can someone please make a decision so we can stop eating our young.

We have been lapped by both A&M (yikes - the aggies make faster decisions then us?) and Houston High. Just pick one and lets go - recruiting time is a wasting!!
gostangs

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:33 pm

I agree with most of what you said, but if you admit that Tubbs would probably recruit DFW better than Roberts, then why do you favor Roberts over Tubbs? Obviously, neither are proven as a HC and Roberts did very poorly in his first HC attempt. I believe that everyone agrees if Roberts comes here and does well he will be gone as fast as Gillipsie at UTEP.
LA_Mustang

Postby CoxSMU » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:43 pm

Who, in the last 6 years, do you think SMU would have landed had Tubbs been our head coach for the last 6 years?
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby BigEasyPony » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:45 pm

I give the edge to Roberts (though slightly) b/c he is (1) the Associate Head Coach at Kansas (one of the premier programs in the country), (2) his close association with Bill Self (Self can flat out coach and coaching with him for 6 years has had to have taught him about what it takes to win), and (3) he has the youth and energy that I think SMU really needs right now.

As for the notion that he would take off and Tubbs wouldn't. I really don't care that much. If Roberts were to get the job and then leave that would mean that SMU is winning and probably going to the the NCAA tournament. That just makes it more attractive for the next guy. Also, heck Kansas and Notre Dame have lost coaches to other schools so it happens. If Tubbs were the HC and he won big and Texas came calling with a mega contract what do you think he would do? He would leave.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Re:

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:52 pm

CoxSMU wrote:Who, in the last 6 years, do you think SMU would have landed had Tubbs been our head coach for the last 6 years?

Obviously, its impossible to say, but I think Andre Emmitt from Carter would have been a Mustang. He was very interested in SMU, but the rumor was that Dement wanted to offer someone else instead and vetoed Tubbs. Emmitt turned out to be the best player in the Big 12.
Hoop Fan

Previous

Return to Basketball