PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I've seen enough.

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I've seen enough.

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:55 pm

It is a shame we have only one (visible) Superman BMD for basketball. If SMU had more BMD interest in implementing a Tier 1 basketball program - which we entertained at one time - SMU would go ballz out to hire the best coach they can get their hands on. If not, it'll be a June Jones "one more year" debacle that won't last a full season. I believe that if the money were there (a buyout and ensuing salary) this thing would get blown up today. Guess we'll just hang around.

Well, after reading updated information - maybe SMU has decided to get in the game.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:10 pm

The title of this thread is so fitting if you watched that game last night. I can't EVER remember seeing a team burned so frequently and consistently by back door cuts that lead to layup after layup after layup. Up until last night I thought Lanier did a really good job coaching team defense but that performance was beyond pathetic
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:50 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:The title of this thread is so fitting if you watched that game last night. I can't EVER remember seeing a team burned so frequently and consistently by back door cuts that lead to layup after layup after layup. Up until last night I thought Lanier did a really good job coaching team defense but that performance was beyond pathetic

It wasn't just last night. It was over and over again. The overall results aren't terrible. A 20 win season followed by an NIT appearance are actually above average at SMU. However, when you consider the NIL program we have and the talent on the roster I truly believe a replacement level coach (using WAR) gets you at least that much success. We could have easily made the NCAA tournament if we simply didn't implode time and time again throughout the season and then these last 6 or 7 games. Even the ECU win was an overtime game. I think that even if Lanier upgraded the talent on the roster, the collapses would have persisted because we will be playing a higher level of competition so that is why I believe it was the right decision to move on. I hate that we didn't get a better coach to begin with because the optics of this situation are terrible given our historical success and because the only other coach we removed after two seasons was Tubbs. I'm not saying we have racist administrators, but it is not the best look.
mustangxc

Postby Hop Sing » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:17 pm

I said that I would be astounded if SMU made this move, and I am, but it’s also the right move. I really like Coach Lanier as a person and wish him the best, but we are headed for shark infested waters! Please hire the right guy SMU!
Hop Sing
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball