PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I've seen enough.

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I've seen enough.

Postby mtrout » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:03 pm

I haven't watched every second of every game but... dude is on like a $10million dollar contract and gets blown out by an 11-seed...in SMU's first game of the AAC tournament. That's rough.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Hop Sing » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:57 am

Was his contact really 10 million? How many years?
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:30 am

That’s classified information :!: Trump or Biden might know.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:40 pm

PonyTime wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Meanwhile, Rick Pitino's St Johns team won their 20th game yesterday and remains alive in the Big East tourney. They look like a candidate for the NIT in his 1st season there. What might have been if only our administration had been as committed to winning as so many other schools are.

Even his son would be better than what we have. Richard Pitino's Lobos are 24-9 and have wins over three ranked teams. He has brought NM basketball back from the dead. They should be in NCAA tournament with a win over Colorado State tonight.

Pitino's Lobos did better than that and just won the MWC by beating SDSU in the finals to earn the MWC auto bid
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:57 am

juwan howard is available- 79-46 at Mi with twice playing in the big dance. I suspect more will be available shortly.
Of course we only want second level coaches since winners would fill Moody and cause too much work for the admin. Soon we will be the laughing stock of the ACC -even the bottom dwellers will be anxious to play us for an easy victory.
redpony

Postby Dukie » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:46 am

1. Would SMU have hired Lanier when they did if SMU were even a bottom-dwelling ACC team? No.

2. Do the results suggest that, despite 1, SMU has found a DiTR with whom they should continue? No.

Please, please do not bring this program in its current state into the ACC.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby TidePony » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:50 am

Dukie wrote:1. Would SMU have hired Lanier when they did if SMU were even a bottom-dwelling ACC team? No.

2. Do the results suggest that, despite 1, SMU has found a DiTR with whom they should continue? No.

Please, please do not bring this program in its current state into the ACC.
Sadly, this^^^
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyte » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:12 pm

I have watched most of the AAC tournament. Sadly, the entire conference has crummy teams. That the top 3 teams USF, FAU and Charlotte have been beaten by vastly inferior teams speaks volumes.

And what is worse, we stunk the gym in the last 4 games of the year against teams dominated by Wichita State Temple and UAB. I have very serious reservations about next year as we appear to be a bottom feeder in a bottom feeding basketball conference.

Next year is gonna be brutal.
ponyte

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:28 pm

I don't recall what the length of Lanier's contract was and what guarantees he has but given the 10 win improvement year over year and with most of this roster eligible to return I don't see SMU running him off. He's certainly not going to get any offers from other schools so my guess would be he returns and sits on a very hot seat next year.

The question in my mind is whether he wants every eligible player to return next year and how many seniors might be graduating and still want to return? Clearly this team needs more fire power as all too often we relied on Phelps and Harris to carry the scoring load which made us an easy team to defend. I don't know what the 3 new players will add next season but if this roster returns, Lanier is going to need J. Smith, Wright & Edwards to contribute more offensively and we need to hope that Anglin or Puryear will be capable scorers as well. T. Smith, Ambrose-Hylton and Hudson all showed they can contribute defensively and rebounding but this team would really benefit from a talented big like FAU has in Goldin.

This team has been built around Zhuric Phelps these past 2 years and he's shown that he is a really talented guy. Remember last season when he couldn't make a FT at the end of the year? He worked hard and his FT shooting improved significantly this year. If he comes back, works hard and significantly improves his perimeter shooting he could develop into a guy who will be a stud ACC guard and might go on to have a nice NBA career. If he comes out early with a limited game, he probably becomes the next Feron Hunt story.

I'd be surprised if this team gets another post season opportunity so it will be interesting to see what happens in the off season after Lanier's 1st two seasons at SMU have ended so poorly.
Charleston Pony

Postby MV pony » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:33 pm

It would be nice if he took advantage of the SMU NIL collective.
MV pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:19 pm

MV pony wrote:It would be nice if he took advantage of the SMU NIL collective.

Do you assume NIL has not been a factor in building the current roster? Or that it is not being used to retain the guys Lanier wants? There will be some quality players entering the portal now that the season has ended for most teams but for all it's shortcomings, this team had pretty good chemistry and that's a big part of roster building as we look forward to next year (again, I'm assuming there will be no post season opportunity for this team). Yes, we could use some roster churn so it will be interesting to see what next year's team looks like entering ACC play.
Charleston Pony

Postby MV pony » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:42 pm

Discussed at length On3. And I see 247.com has totally deleted SMU.
MV pony
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:54 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PonyTime wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Meanwhile, Rick Pitino's St Johns team won their 20th game yesterday and remains alive in the Big East tourney. They look like a candidate for the NIT in his 1st season there. What might have been if only our administration had been as committed to winning as so many other schools are.

Even his son would be better than what we have. Richard Pitino's Lobos are 24-9 and have wins over three ranked teams. He has brought NM basketball back from the dead. They should be in NCAA tournament with a win over Colorado State tonight.

Pitino's Lobos did better than that and just won the MWC by beating SDSU in the finals to earn the MWC auto bid

Yep - and the Mountain West has as many teams likely going to the tournament (6 of 11 teams) as the Big 10. Maybe Pitino wants to coach in the ACC ... either Pitino.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:47 am

getting bounced in the first game just shows how pathetic this coach is. he had two years of transfer portal and NIL to build a really good team. in short he failed.
It is time to replace him with a high level talented coach. if this coach continues next year into the ACC we will get totally hammered by even the worst teams.
It will be interesting to see if our admin and BMD want a real bball program or just a token team whose talent and coaching doesn't matter.
redpony

Postby Used To Be » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:23 pm

This team has had 3 seasons, the regular season, AAC tournament season, and NIT season and blew all three. And now we are heading to a new powerful basketball conference. Not looking good for the next three years.
Used To Be
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball