PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I've seen enough.

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I've seen enough.

Postby ShantyBoy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:44 pm

Totally agree. He’s not the guy to take us into next year. I have every faith in Miller & Co. to do the right thing to get us in the right place going into ACC play.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby Nedward » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:53 pm

Perhaps its the announcers pleasuring themselves talking about Temple, but I'm angry.

After the injury, that means we no longer function as an offense? Do the coaches have any input? Are the players just ignoring them?

Absolutely disgusted. Disgusted...
Nedward
Junior Varsity

Postby Hop Sing » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:14 pm

I like Lanier as a person, but I don’t think he’s the guy that can compete in the ACC. Having said that, I firmly believe he will be the coach next season. I give Miller and company major kudos for getting us into the ACC, but I don’t share others faith in them when it comes to coaches. They let Jank reverse everything Larry built, and then hired Lanier. Why would anyone be optimistic?
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby ShantyBoy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:18 pm

I can think of several million reasons why.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:46 pm

This should be totally unacceptable at SMU. What an embarrassing performance today after a total collapse to end the season on top of some horrible losses and some terrible collapses with late game leads throughout the season. If we don't make a move now, then what is the point of being in the ACC? I'd much rather use the money to have excellent coaches than be the doormat for a power conference.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:59 am

Meanwhile, Rick Pitino's St Johns team won their 20th game yesterday and remains alive in the Big East tourney. They look like a candidate for the NIT in his 1st season there. What might have been if only our administration had been as committed to winning as so many other schools are.
Charleston Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:45 am

SMU basketball needs a Grant McCasland-like hire to get the program moving upward in short order. Otherwise, the program is just treading water.
Bergermeister

Postby redpony » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:02 am

second year and still subpar performance. RL in his second year won a championship. Now, for those who say the 'bucket was empty' we can turn that around and say he had every opportunity to recruit a 'new' team plus the NIL. he is not the guy and we will be the laughing stock of the ACC next year.
A change should be made but most likely will not happen. yes, we need a 'pied piper' to move this program up to where it was but there is no interest in doing that. we can at least hope our fball team won't be a disaster like the bball program.
redpony

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:17 am

As I've been saying for a year and a half....we are wasting our time here. Sure, we had a much better year than last year. But, we didn't beat a single team with a pulse.

Go get Musselman from Arkansas and he will thrive at SMU. Recruits like a maniac.

Lanier has been horrendous in recruiting. The 60th ranked recruiting class heading to the ACC is a death certificate.
Pony ^

Postby Hop Sing » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:23 am

The pressure will be on, and he will be on the hot seat, but I will be absolutely astounded if Lanier isn't here next season. SMU is too worried about being perceived as caring too much about sports instead of academics. One thing is certain, they need a home run next time around.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:49 am

I doubt anyone in the country thinks SMU values sports more than academics. We don't have much to show for it if it were the case.
mustangxc

Postby PonyTime » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:10 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Meanwhile, Rick Pitino's St Johns team won their 20th game yesterday and remains alive in the Big East tourney. They look like a candidate for the NIT in his 1st season there. What might have been if only our administration had been as committed to winning as so many other schools are.

Even his son would be better than what we have. Richard Pitino's Lobos are 24-9 and have wins over three ranked teams. He has brought NM basketball back from the dead. They should be in NCAA tournament with a win over Colorado State tonight.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby slawton011963 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:57 pm

It may a bit unfair to get rid of him after a couple years and if we were staying in the AAC I would be in favor of giving him one more. But we are now in a big-time basketball conference and I don't see him as the right man to put together a team that can compete. My fear is that he is back next year and we are just not competitive and the rebuild starts...just puts us further away from where we want to be.
On a related note...if we do make a move now, what names might be realistic to take over and turn this team into an ACC-worthy group?
slawton011963

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:48 pm

More important than making a knee jerk reaction and firing the coach is the need to address our roster. We played well when Harris played well and took the pressure off Phelps who tends to feel like he needs to carry the scoring load in Harris' absence. Really disappointed that Jalen Smith and Ricardo Wright, who showed they have potential and had their moments during the year, did not show up when they were really needed. I keep thinking these veteran guys are going to step up but they haven't shown any consistency and Jalen looked completely lost when he had to run the point last night after Harris went down and Edwards needed a rest. Edwards is another guy who needs to improve and become more of a scoring threat to take some pressure off the other guards.

Bottom line is that great players make coaches great and that has ALWAYS been the case. Assuming Lanier gets another year, he really needs to evaluate the roster, see what might be available via the portal and have some serious discussions with his players who are eligible to return. Right now he will have 2 incoming frosh and Anglin and will be losing Williamson. If he wants everyone back and they are all willing to return, he will basically be trusting this roster and his incoming recruits to protect his job because I'd be surprised if he survives a losing record and 16th (or worse) finish in the ACC next year
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:51 pm

I would say that great coaches GET great players and know how to push the right buttons.
Hop Sing
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball