PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I've seen enough.

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I've seen enough.

Postby PonyME » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:25 pm

So we met or exceeded low/avg expectations, ok. You’re measuring us against the curve (AAC). To me, the bar has been set too low for a program moving up to the ACC given the NIL and other resources SMU enjoys. But ok let’s see how next year goes but I don’t see how the makeup of this team changes drastically so it will either come from the coaching staff improving results or the players finding their winning ‘DNA’.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:34 pm

I don't think there is any question this team will struggle to finish in the top 15 of the ACC next year to even qualify for the tournament and I don't see the 2 incoming frosh being difference makers. Not sure how many guys might move on after this season and who will return but if the chemistry is right, just adding one or two impact players to a college basketball roster can make a huge difference. This year's team has at least been competitive and helped erase the nightmare that the 2022-23 season was. At this point, I just hope they get to play several more games this year but after losing 4 of their last 5 games I'm not feeling very optimistic.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:38 pm

Given our NIL program the recruiting by this staff is abysmal. Clearly they are clueless in terms of in game adjustments so what do they really bring to the table?
mustangxc

Postby RunningStang » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:14 pm

Look at the facts. He inherited a team that Jankovic had run into the ground and let all his top players transfer. He bottomed out last year and now this year wins 20 games and is probably got them lined up to go to the NIT with a strong tournament showing. Even stronger one and who knows maybe last four in.

But go ahead and fire a coach that has got the kids to buy-in and improved a ton from last season at your peril.
RunningStang
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyME » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:46 pm

21-22 we finished 24-9 and 2nd in the American, one game behind Houston and ahead of Memphis. That’s running the team into the ground? We finished with 22 losses last year and next to last in the American. So yes, upward trajectory this year but this doesn’t end well in my opinion because I don’t see what changes between this year and next without either a coaching change or some wildcard new player coming in. We’re already hearing the expectations for next year set by some…which will be Lanier’s 3rd full year. 15th place or lower.
Last edited by PonyME on Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:47 pm

Surely no one really believes Lanier will or should be fired after his 2nd year. I don’t know if he’s capable of having success in the ACC or not, but I do know he will get his chance. They allowed Jank to literally run this program into the ground, so they aren’t firing Lanier in year 2.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby PonyME » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

He won’t be fired and deserves another year. The problem was the initial hire to begin with. I get it. Players love him, they buy in to what the coach is selling (which is a huge reason why the football program is top 25 at this point). But that’s where the comparison ends. In 9 seasons as a HC he’s barely 500. Go back to his four years at Sienna, he ended his last two years 20-40, so the narrative that he builds programs is not accurate. Ga State was a mixed bag.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:48 pm

With Williamson possibly the only player moving on and Anglin, Holmes & Puryear the only additions for next year, I don't see this team competing well in the ACC without significant improvement by virtually every player. I think we need some roster churn as this team needs an impact big and another dependable scorer to have any hope of competing even as a mid level ACC team but I do agree Lanier should get the opportunity to lead this team next year.

I wouldn't say Jank ran the program into the ground because his last team at least reached the NIT. He had brought in the "one and done" Weathers brothers, had the conference player of the year in Kendric Davis and 7 seniors on that team. With only Davis, Bandoumel & Nutall eligible to return, Jank had only 2 recruits coming in the next year. Could he have done better than Williamson via the portal to rebuild his roster? The following season certainly did not look promising and once Davis & Band bailed Lanier's 1st season's fate was pretty much sealed.

Lanier will be challenged to compete in the ACC next year and will then face the same issue Jank did in his final season i.e., having to replace several outgoing seniors who will have used up their college eligibility. We will soon find out if he can recruit at an ACC level and keep this job
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:44 pm

This program was a mere shadow of itself at the end of Janks tenure, so I call that running it into the ground. He was Mr Mediocre 2nd place finish his entire head coaching career.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:10 am

Hop Sing wrote:Surely no one really believes Lanier will or should be fired after his 2nd year. I don’t know if he’s capable of having success in the ACC or not, but I do know he will get his chance. They allowed Jank to literally run this program into the ground, so they aren’t firing Lanier in year 2.

I agree that two years is too narrow a window in which to judge a coach, but let the record show that, with ACC membership and nice NIL support, this job is a lot more attractive than it was when Lanier was hired.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby highlander » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:17 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:
Hop Sing wrote:Surely no one really believes Lanier will or should be fired after his 2nd year. I don’t know if he’s capable of having success in the ACC or not, but I do know he will get his chance. They allowed Jank to literally run this program into the ground, so they aren’t firing Lanier in year 2.

I agree that two years is too narrow a window in which to judge a coach, but let the record show that, with ACC membership and nice NIL support, this job is a lot more attractive than it was when Lanier was hired.

That's a great point. There will be A LOT of coaches wanted to lead this team now that we are in the ACC. Lanier will definitely be on the hot seat next year. Any idea what it will take for him to keep his job? I think he needs a top-10 finish, honestly. He needs to portal-recruit his head off after this season.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Lefty » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:29 pm

I agree that two years is too narrow a window in which to judge a coach...

The folks at Louisville disagree
Lefty
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:36 pm

highlander wrote:
max the wonder dog wrote:

That's a great point. There will be A LOT of coaches wanted to lead this team now that we are in the ACC. Lanier will definitely be on the hot seat next year. Any idea what it will take for him to keep his job? I think he needs a top-10 finish, honestly. He needs to portal-recruit his head off after this season.

I would think making the NIT would be the minimal expectation in year three.
mustangxc

Postby indianmustang » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:01 pm

it will depend on today
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby SMU93 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:52 pm

PonyME wrote:He won’t be fired and deserves another year. The problem was the initial hire to begin with. I get it. Players love him, they buy in to what the coach is selling (which is a huge reason why the football program is top 25 at this point). But that’s where the comparison ends. In 9 seasons as a HC he’s barely 500. Go back to his four years at Sienna, he ended his last two years 20-40, so the narrative that he builds programs is not accurate. Ga State was a mixed bag.

I'm not sure he won't be fired. With the amount of money donors spent to buy our way in to the ACC, it's safe to assume some of them will be impatient about wanting a "name" coach, especially for recruiting -- high school and transfers.

Coach Lanier seems like a great guy, and I'll never wish unemployment on anyone, but returning next year seems far from certain.
SMU93

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball