PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: men's basketball vs. UAB

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: men's basketball vs. UAB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:25 pm

Zhuric Phelps with another steal tonight moves into a T-9th on SMU career steals list, tied with Sterling Brown who accomplished his feat in 4 seasons. Let's hope Zhuric comes back for another season and climbs way up that list as well as continuing to improve his shooting. He just keeps improving his game and might develop into another NBA talent to come out of SMU
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:39 pm

That was a thrilling victory! This team drives me nuts, but was happy to catch the win tonight.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:53 pm

Hopefully they continue to "refuse to lose" in Moody. UAB really let one get away but our guys know that feeling, too
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:03 pm

We really need to make up for the Wichita State loss, which was a devastating loss. Beat Rice on Wednesday! I'll be there in person to cheer them on.
mustangxc

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:57 pm

This was a must win and they did it. UAB with 15 turnovers this should have been an easy win, but they they couldn’t shoot and thus couldn’t capitalize. I thought it was over in the 2nd half when the Blazers got hot and we were down by 12, but they kept playing defense and clawed their way back. Chuck Harris holding the ball and letting the clock wind down to 18 before throwing up a missed 3 wasn’t very smart, but it all worked out and they finally won a close one.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:24 am

Hop Sing wrote:This was a must win and they did it. UAB with 15 turnovers this should have been an easy win, but they they couldn’t shoot and thus couldn’t capitalize. I thought it was over in the 2nd half when the Blazers got hot and we were down by 12, but they kept playing defense and clawed their way back. Chuck Harris holding the ball and letting the clock wind down to 18 before throwing up a missed 3 wasn’t very smart, but it all worked out and they finally won a close one.

I understand killing some clock with a lead late in the game but I thought we waited to long to go to the hoop. That resulted in forced shots and not enough time to move the ball to try and get a more open look
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:49 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Hop Sing wrote:This was a must win and they did it. UAB with 15 turnovers this should have been an easy win, but they they couldn’t shoot and thus couldn’t capitalize. I thought it was over in the 2nd half when the Blazers got hot and we were down by 12, but they kept playing defense and clawed their way back. Chuck Harris holding the ball and letting the clock wind down to 18 before throwing up a missed 3 wasn’t very smart, but it all worked out and they finally won a close one.

I understand killing some clock with a lead late in the game but I thought we waited to long to go to the hoop. That resulted in forced shots and not enough time to move the ball to try and get a more open look

Obviously want to kill the clock, but he never passed the ball once. Move the ball around while killing the clock and try to get a higher percentage shot or possibly a foul.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:25 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

I commented exactly that with my friends during the game. There was actually one instance where he held the ball and hit a key 3 at the buzzer. It worked out, but we weren't up enough to concern ourselves with draining clock. Also, I wanted our guys driving to the basket because some of their key players were in foul trouble so either they get called for a foul and foul out or would have to play soft defense. It worked out in the end but that's why this team is so aggravating.
mustangxc

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:50 pm

I will say that now for two games in a row, we have figured out how to win a close game. Now if we can do it on the road, we'll be money.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:14 pm

EastStang wrote:I will say that now for two games in a row, we have figured out how to win a close game. Now if we can do it on the road, we'll be money.

Need to at least beat the lower half teams on the road (Rice & hopefully Tulane). No more Wichita State fiascos but just need to win in Moody and see if these guys can steal one on the road against the better teams in this league
Charleston Pony

Postby highlander » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:25 pm

mustangxc wrote:We really need to make up for the Wichita State loss, which was a devastating loss. Beat Rice on Wednesday! I'll be there in person to cheer them on.

The only way I see to "make up for" the Wichita State loss is to beat FAU. There is no shame in losing a close one at UNT, but that WSU loss was devastating to our tournament chances.
highlander
Varsity

Postby highlander » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:30 pm

We were outshot from the field, from the 3-pt line and from the FT line. They had more assists than we did. We tied in rebounding and blocked shots.

Our one saving grace was the steals and forced turnovers.

It's great that we found a way to win even when things weren't going our way.
highlander
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball