PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD - MBB vs Rice

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD - MBB vs Rice

Postby SRQPony » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:12 pm

The Ponies came out for the second half with a higher intensity game. Defense is all over Rice and we are up 16 with 16 minutes left to go.
SRQPony
Varsity

Postby highlander » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:29 pm

Up 73-54 with 8:16 to go.

This is more like what we saw pre-WSU.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:31 pm

10 different guys have scored and bench has 37 of our 73 points
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:34 pm

8 steals and now a 33-21 rebounding advantage has SMU up 25
Charleston Pony

Postby highlander » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:35 pm

Now up 25 with 7:02 to go. Can we bottle this???
highlander
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:40 pm

Five SMU players now in double figures. Love the balanced scoring from this team. What a difference a year can make
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:42 pm

SMU with 23 assists on 39 made FGs. Impressive
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:42 pm

SMU with 23 assists on 39 made FGs. Impressive
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:53 pm

Phelps with 2 more steals moving into 9th place alone on career steals list. Team finishes with 24 assists vs only 4 turnovers. That has to be a new record at SMU?
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:10 am

Nice win! After a very frustrating start to the game with SMU trailing by 8 late in the first half, they finally decided to stop launching 3s and finally went for more dribble penetration which gave SMU the edge at halftime. I don't know what was said at halftime but fortunately more of the same from the closing minutes of the first half and they kept driving to the hole aggressively and it worked. I don't understand why they love to launch 3s because that has been a losing strategy for the most part this season. However, when our guards drive to the basket or our bigs muscle it in, we succeed more often than not. On to the next one. Beat UNT!

That blowout moved the team from 53 to 45 in Kenpom. We are now at 46 after the remaining games today.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:53 am

I agree our offense improved when guys started driving the ball into the paint but in the 1st half Rice did a good job of cutting off those drives and their big man defended the paint well. While our guys started 2-11 from three, the finished 8-18 and got open looks off those drives that collapsed the defense and opened the perimeter. Wright and Harris knocked down 3 consecutive threes that really turned the tide while Williamson and Phelps were knocking down shots near the FT stripe but it was the increased defensive intensity, rebounding and transition buckets that saw SMU go on something like a 29-6 run closing the 1st half and opening the 2nd half that put this game away
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:08 pm

The three point shot is a viable weapon for SMU and I don't have a problem with them taking them if they are open especially since we are so good on the offensive glass.

I would think you would want to give Harris, Wright, Lanier, and Jalen the green light for whenever they feel it.

Phelps needs to be much more selective on his; he is shooting way too many threes and is not great at them. His game should always be to drive to the hoop and score/dish.

The rest of the team, most notably Williamson, has no business shooting threes, even if wide open.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:58 pm

Edwards is another guy who is selective but shoots the 3 well. On the season, SMU out shoots our opponents from three 34% to 31% but in conference play we've hit only 30% vs 31% by our opponents. I agree Williamson should avoid the three (as should the other bigs) and Zhuric needs to be really selective shooting from beyond the arc. Last night guys were jacking some really ugly threes especially from the left side in that 1st half and that included some of our best shooters. I'm glad Coach Lanier got them re-focused and more under control towards the end of the 1st half and opening the 2nd half but without a closer look, it sure seemed to me that our guys hit a much higher percentage of threes from the top of the key and from the right side than they did from the left side and corner.
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:43 pm

You are right, Edwards is a good three point shooter and I do like how he is very selective when he takes them. He knows his role as a great defender and a pass rather than shoot guard.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Basketball