PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: men's basketball vs. UNT

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: men's basketball vs. UNT

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:18 pm

Williamson and Phelps go 5-17 on our home court and we still find a way to win this game. Those 2 combine for 16 boards. 4 assists and 4 steals but thank goodness for Harris, Hudson and J. Smith's offensive production today
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:19 pm

SMU ends up winning the rebound battle 34-28 after UNT had an advantage almost the entire game. This SMU team is full of closers...and thank you to the Moody faithful for coming alive late. We are great front runners, aren't we?
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:23 pm

SMU with 12 steals and 6 blocks today. We knew coming in that Lanier was all about playing tenacious team defense and this team is living up to that...at least late in most games!
Charleston Pony

Postby soccermom » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:26 pm

Whew! What an ending!!
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby highlander » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:31 pm

Seems like Lanier is always dogging Williamson. Anyone else see that?
highlander
Varsity

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:37 pm

Kudos to the team for gritting it out and getting it done in the end. Super frustrating game to watch, and I really didn’t think they were going to win with all of the missed shots, but thankfully they did. Have to win every home game going forward and it’s doable.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby highlander » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:41 pm

NTCC shot 52% from 3-pt range, with 12 makes, and we still won!
highlander
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:48 pm

I'm very thankful we won. We lost the first 3 quarters of the game, but managed to turn it on just in time to escape unscathed. We needed it to keep pace in the standings and keep ourselves alive for an NIT bid. I hope they don't sleepwalk to New Orleans because Tulane will be up and ready for us. They already beat Memphis at home and will want to right the ship after getting smoked by Memphis today.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:09 pm

mustangxc wrote:I'm very thankful we won. We lost the first 3 quarters of the game, but managed to turn it on just in time to escape unscathed. We needed it to keep pace in the standings and keep ourselves alive for an NIT bid. I hope they don't sleepwalk to New Orleans because Tulane will be up and ready for us. They already beat Memphis at home and will want to right the ship after getting smoked by Memphis today.

Agree. It's always tough facing a team that got whipped their last time out. The vast majority of games in this year's AAC have been decided by single digits so Tulane's 90-78 loss @ Memphis is a blowout by AAC standards
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:29 pm

Was nice to see us pull that one out after so many close games going against us. Very underwhelmed by our fans, with the UNT crowd more than twice as loud as us most of the night, but not too surprised.

Pony Up. Beat Tulane.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:07 pm

GHammond wrote:Great W!! Poor Williamson - jeez….i agree with CP, why is he in late?!?

He was in for rebounding and defense. He was good enough to get that rebound. Just not a free throw shooting.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:52 am

I believe there were roughly 300 UNT fans spread throughout the arena. Packed behind their bench and a rowdy group in 213 and 214. 214 group would yell North and 213 said Texas. Also they would yell defense as loud as we would. At least our numbers would drown out their UNT chant with SMU. Crowd came alive as the gap closed down the stretch.

It would be nice to continue the series but they’re tough and bring more fans.

Gutty come back. Memphis game will be even more fun and hope for win at Tulane to keep a high seed.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:55 am

I'm not sure what it's going to take to pack Moody. Those 2 games against UNT were terrific games but we still can't draw 6,000 to Moody? Hopefully more will show up for Memphis. I will blame yesterday on people making plans for Super Bowl parties but those who came out certainly got their money's worth
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:30 pm

tristatecoog wrote:I believe there were roughly 300 UNT fans spread throughout the arena. Packed behind their bench and a rowdy group in 213 and 214. 214 group would yell North and 213 said Texas. Also they would yell defense as loud as we would. At least our numbers would drown out their UNT chant with SMU. Crowd came alive as the gap closed down the stretch.

It would be nice to continue the series but they’re tough and bring more fans.

Gutty come back. Memphis game will be even more fun and hope for win at Tulane to keep a high seed.

I sit in section 204 and have a great view of the entire arena. I don’t know how you can think there were 300 mean greenie fans there. It’s very easy to make noise in Moody, and props to them for trying so hard. I thought it was low class for them to try their directional school chant while our pom-pom squad was performing, but then again they are low class. We were very fortunate to win that game.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:02 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I'm not sure what it's going to take to pack Moody. Those 2 games against UNT were terrific games but we still can't draw 6,000 to Moody? Hopefully more will show up for Memphis. I will blame yesterday on people making plans for Super Bowl parties but those who came out certainly got their money's worth

We knew what it took to pack Moody. And we fired him discouraged him from remaining.
Last edited by max the wonder dog on Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball