PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: men's basketball vs. UNT

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: men's basketball vs. UNT

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:20 pm

max the wonder dog wrote: We knew what it took to pack Moody. And we fired him.

It's been straight downhill ever since. Instead of building on what Larry put in place, SMU settled. A really great collegiate basketball atmosphere completely destroyed. No end in sight. Moody Magic became Moody Tragic.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:36 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I'm not sure what it's going to take to pack Moody. Those 2 games against UNT were terrific games but we still can't draw 6,000 to Moody? Hopefully more will show up for Memphis. I will blame yesterday on people making plans for Super Bowl parties but those who came out certainly got their money's worth

We knew what it took to pack Moody. And we fired him.

Too bad he got us on probation.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:53 pm

He was not fired. He declined a contract that included him to take responsibility for his actions and maintain academic compliance
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Hop Sing » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:37 pm

They got cute with his contract because they somehow forgot about the absolute train wreck he inherited. Thought New Moody and Jank could keep it going. Not
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby shadowman » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:01 am

mrydel wrote:He was not fired. He declined a contract that included him to take responsibility for his actions and maintain academic compliance

This, end of story. The main reason he left was that he knew bad times were coming with the harsh sanctions we were given, so he did what he always does, had quick success, got the program sanctioned, then bailed.

Moody Magic will return when we start winning and are nationally relevant, everyone will start turning up again. I think Rob Lanier is the guy that can do it, and he will do it the right way, by building a brand that includes tenacious defense and a high standard for the type of players we want on the team.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:37 pm

shadowman wrote:
mrydel wrote:He was not fired. He declined a contract that included him to take responsibility for his actions and maintain academic compliance

This, end of story. The main reason he left was that he knew bad times were coming with the harsh sanctions we were given, so he did what he always does, had quick success, got the program sanctioned, then bailed.

Moody Magic will return when we start winning and are nationally relevant, everyone will start turning up again. I think Rob Lanier is the guy that can do it, and he will do it the right way, by building a brand that includes tenacious defense and a high standard for the type of players we want on the team.

Not to mention help from the current NIL environment
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:26 pm

lanier will never be as good as LB. Plus LB built enthusiasm, was active with the students etc. the sad thing is that our university has never helped or tried to protect our coaches when they error. Big time schools stand up and fight the ncaa corruption we just roll over and say ok.
redpony

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:54 pm

redpony wrote:lanier will never be as good as LB. Plus LB built enthusiasm, was active with the students etc. the sad thing is that our university has never helped or tried to protect our coaches when they error. Big time schools stand up and fight the ncaa corruption we just roll over and say ok.

There are few coaches that are good as LB.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:34 pm

I remember looking across the floor at Larry Brown, and then to the floor seats behind the east basket with cowboy players, current and former NBA players, then look around at a sold out crowd with the student section packed and just be amazed and so proud that we had finally climbed the mountain. It was truly a dream come true so many years of bad basketball and empty Moody.

I’m always surprised when I read what sounds like support for the NCAA who have been slapping us around since 1987, even when we sucked. Anyone remember Burgers and Cheer? The 9 game suspension for Larry was the absolute worst thing that happened, because it elevated Jank when we won those games. In truth, one of the floor mop kids in a suit could have been named interim coach and we would have won them with that team. It was the beginning of the end, and I remember reading on this board that Jank was the actual genius doing all of the actual work and Larry was too old. SMU obviously believed it as well, and instead of fighting the NCAA they played hardball and disrespected the HOF coach that had resurrected SMU basketball.

We are off to a bright future in the ACC, and I’m sure Moody will be packed for the big dogs in conference. I’m looking forward to it and hope we are up to the challenge.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball