PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Difficult arenas to play according to rick pitino

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Difficult arenas to play according to rick pitino

Postby indianmustang » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:56 pm

Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Difficult arenas to play according to rick pitino

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:42 am

Will always wonder what might have been if we had gone after him after parting ways with LB
Charleston Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:40 am

He’s a member of an exclusive golf club in Westchester County. So far the Johnnies have underperformed this year but Lanier can attest that it takes some time to get the right players and chemistry.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:46 pm

tristatecoog wrote:He’s a member of an exclusive golf club in Westchester County. So far the Johnnies have underperformed this year but Lanier can attest that it takes some time to get the right players and chemistry.

Not sure I would say they underperformed unless you expected a big improvement right away. St Johns is 6-7 in Big East play after going 7-13 last year. With 3 games remaining against Georgetown & DePaul I would say there is a pretty good chance they will improve on last season's results. They won a 1st round Big East Tourney game last year so we'll see how they finish this season but earning any post season bid would be an improvement over last year for them.

I can only imagine what SMU basketball would look like if he had taken over LB's roster (even Jank won 30 games and went to the NCAAs his 1st year before the decline began). I jus have to believe Pitino's "star power" may have helped SMU continue it's basketball momentum but our administration failed to appreciate what we had after LB laid the foundation
Charleston Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:24 pm

indianmustang wrote:https://twitter.com/KingWilliamENG/status/1756773581025849831/photo/1

That ranking was from a long, long time ago - the unmatched Larry Brown era.
Bergermeister

Postby highlander » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:31 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I can only imagine what SMU basketball would look like if he had taken over LB's roster (even Jank won 30 games and went to the NCAAs his 1st year before the decline began). I jus have to believe Pitino's "star power" may have helped SMU continue it's basketball momentum but our administration failed to appreciate what we had after LB laid the foundation

At the time the admin thought Jank would be a seamless transition. He coached so well during LB's 9-game suspension (though I'm pretty sure just about anyone could have done just as well in that situation). I am just irritated at how long they gave Jank. It was abundantly clear after 2019 (some say after 2018) that he was not the guy. But he stuck around for THREE MORE YEARS before he finally quit on his own.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:17 pm

It's not that Jank was a horrible coach but he just couldn't recruit beyond the NIT level. It remains to be seen whether Lanier can build this program up to a point of being competitive in the ACC
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball