PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tubbs vs Roberts...Tale of the Tape

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tubbs vs Roberts...Tale of the Tape

Postby moodymadness » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:08 pm

If you have read my past posts, I am obviously in Tubbs corner. But lets compare Tubbs and Roberts in key catagories...and I will be as objective as possible...
1)HEAD COACHING: Tubbs had great success as a high school head coach at Kimball and won a state championship, which is impressive. His success as a high school head coach got him into the college ranks. Roberts was 24-82 in five years at Brooklyn which is pretty pathetic. I'm sure he learned from his failure there but I would hope that a future head coach at SMU and in Conference USA would dominate in Division II...not average less than 5 wins per year. And as mentioned earlier, it is very possible that the competition at Kimball was stiffer than the competition at Brooklyn.
Advantage: Tubbs.
2)ASSISTANT COACHING: Tubbs has a decade+ of assistant coaching experience at SMU at Oklahoma. But only two of those years has he been under an elite head coach (Sampson). Roberts has followed Self from Oral Roberts to Tulsa to Illinois to Kansas...and in all he has eight years under an elite head coach. Advantage: Roberts.
3)X's and O's: Considering that both have been assistant coaches in the college game for quite a while, I am sure that both have a wealth of basketball knowledge. Plus if you watch college bball, everyone runs the same stuff (with the exception of a few schools like Princeston) and coaches always steal plays from one another. As a result, it would be unfair to say who is better with a clipboard. Advantage: Push.
4)Recruiting: Tubbs strongest attribute and the primary reason he is a finalist for the job. Most importantly, he has already proven that he can get top high school products to come to SMU and his success should only grow if he ran the program. His roots in the metroplex and with high school coaches would provide a strong foundation for SMU basketball. Roberts is also a top recruiter but was able to sell Self, big basketball schools, and exposure to kids...a luxury Tubbs never had. Roberts area of emphasis, as a New Yorker, has been the east coast and he has done well there. But in my opinion, the advantage goes to the person that has already proved they can get top talent to come to SMU. Advantage: Tubbs.
5)PR: Tubbs has name recognition in the metroplex while Roberts does not. And the DISD coaches letter to SMU is well documented and his hire would score points in the community. If Roberts were hired a possible backlash towards SMU by high school coaches might be felt and is it worth the risk? Bottom line...if Tubbs were hired the community would care and a buzz would be created while I cannot say the same thing about Roberts. Advantage: Tubbs
moodymadness
Recruit

Postby BigEasyPony » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:06 pm

I thought you said you were going to try and be objective?

(1) HEAD COACHING: At a minimum this is a push. Despite Robert's pathetic record he has a record and Tubbs has none. HS does not count. Just like Tubbs' HS record got him a job as an assistant in college then I guess Roberts' terrible collegiate HC record also got him a job as a college assistant.

(2) ASST. COACHING: Roberts

(3) X & O's: I'll be nice and give you a push on this, but more than 6 years under Self gives you an edge.

(4) RECRUITING: This is a push. I think we all should be honest about this for a moment. Both are candidates are talked about as great recruiters. We don't know about Roberts so we can't say for sure and Tubbs' biggest recruit was BHop. Who else? I know he's gotten some good players. Was he responsible for Sasser and Willie Davis? I think Stallion can answer this better than most of us, but why is Tubbs considered such a great recruiter.

(5) PR: I think you need to say public relations among the local DISD coaches. Its easily Tubbs, but not by much when you look at the whole picture. The answer is I don't know and probably no one else on this board does either. How would the other college HC's view this if either candidate is chosen. Do most coaches have a higher opinion of Tubbs or Roberts. I think there are also a lot of SMU alums who would be excited that the Associate HC of Kansas is our new basketball coach. I think there are others who would be happy that Tubbs get the job and others who would be disappointed that we chose an assistant so closely tied to the program under Dement.

I know I may come across as being down on Tubbs I am not, but he is not the 2nd coming.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Re:

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:55 pm

BigEasyPony wrote:I thought you said you were going to try and be objective?

(1) HEAD COACHING: At a minimum this is a push. Despite Robert's pathetic record he has a record and Tubbs has none. HS does not count. Just like Tubbs' HS record got him a job as an assistant in college then I guess Roberts' terrible collegiate HC record also got him a job as a college assistant.

(2) ASST. COACHING: Roberts

(3) X & O's: I'll be nice and give you a push on this, but more than 6 years under Self gives you an edge.

(4) RECRUITING: This is a push. I think we all should be honest about this for a moment. Both are candidates are talked about as great recruiters. We don't know about Roberts so we can't say for sure and Tubbs' biggest recruit was BHop. Who else? I know he's gotten some good players. Was he responsible for Sasser and Willie Davis? I think Stallion can answer this better than most of us, but why is Tubbs considered such a great recruiter.

(5) PR: I think you need to say public relations among the local DISD coaches. Its easily Tubbs, but not by much when you look at the whole picture. The answer is I don't know and probably no one else on this board does either. How would the other college HC's view this if either candidate is chosen. Do most coaches have a higher opinion of Tubbs or Roberts. I think there are also a lot of SMU alums who would be excited that the Associate HC of Kansas is our new basketball coach. I think there are others who would be happy that Tubbs get the job and others who would be disappointed that we chose an assistant so closely tied to the program under Dement.

I know I may come across as being down on Tubbs I am not, but he is not the 2nd coming.

How does a HS state championship not count?

He's not the second coming at the moment, but he is the best candidate right here, right now.

Roberts record scares me as a HC. He may be a Bennett post SMU 2005.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:13 pm

You mean a Bennett pre 2003 - Bennett post 2004 is a winner.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:55 pm

Absolutely, plus a new conference.

CUSA Basketball looks pretty good. Memphis, UAB and UCF had great seasons and got to the Tournament. New BB coaches at Southern Miss, Houston and now SMU. Tulsa will be back. Rice is doing well.

Momentum for our recruits, who will get to play in Dallas, Houston (x2), New Orleans, Memphis, Birmingham, Orlando, Tulsa, etc.

Give Jim Copeland some credit on the CUSA and Tubbs. Phil will not disappoint for long.

Go CUSA, Go U, S-M-U!

:D
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball