PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TUBBS TO BE NAMED NEW COACH

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TUBBS TO BE NAMED NEW COACH

Postby stein000012 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:21 pm

Dallas Morning News is reporting that a news conference will be held at 10:30 tomorrow morning to name Jimmy Tubbs new coach...

Good decision SMU!!!
stein000012
Junior Varsity

Postby Dooby » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:26 pm

In my Inbox 5 seconds ago:

* * * Special Announcement * * *

We invite you to attend a press conference on Friday, March 26th at 10:30 AM to welcome our new Head Men's Basketball Coach. The press conference will be located on the floor of Moody Coliseum. The public is invited to attended. We look forward to seeing you there.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:31 pm

I think that is an excellent decision for this program. Congrats SMU.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponydawg » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:32 pm

CONGRATS TO THE NEW COACH!!!!
GO GET'EM TUBBS! :P
GO PONIES!!!!!!!!!!!
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Ponymon » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:06 pm

I'm EXCITED :D by the choice of Tubbs and can't wait to renew my 4 season tickets for next year. He appears to be a classy guy judging from the way he dresses and having talked to the fathers of several of the players who really love the guy. He has put in his time at SMU and deserves the opportunity to move up to the head coaching position!
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:11 pm

If it is Jimmy Tubbs.....that is good news!

Coach Tubbs should be able to recruit very well in Dallas, and possibly convince some great local talent to stay home so their family can watch them bring SMU Basketball back to a competitive level we can all be proud of.

Having a coach that won the Class 5A State Championship in Basketball in 1990 while coaching at Kimball High School in Dallas, Texas can't hurt!

Hats off to Jim Copeland and the search committee for making a good choice!

GO MUSTANGS!

"THE SMU BLVD - - NO PLACE ELSE" (retired)
Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:42 pm

hope we will be able to listen to the press conference online!!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:23 pm

GOOD move Copeland! :D
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:00 pm

Froggies already stirred up over this news - go check Killerfrogs - They are starting to realize the gamble to MWC was a screw-up (no BCS - ever). They lose two football games and its swirly time. In BB, CUSA has much higher profile then MWC - soon it is back to obscurity where they belong. I can't wait.
gostangs

Postby BigEasyPony » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:37 pm

We'll know within the span of two (2) years whether Tubbs can coach. He's coming into a situation where there are good players and he has the ability to recruit locally, but I hope he hires a heckuva an assistant. Maybe Lineburg or Crawford will be asked to stay on.

Tubbs will be tested and we will know very quickly whether this was a good hire. I just worry it's a feel good hire. Despite my concerns, I hope like heck he goes to the mat with Barnes and Gillespie for recruits and brings home some wins for this program. I think this is a serious moment in the history of SMU basketball and this hire will help define Copeland and this basketball team. Let's all wish Tubbs the best.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:48 pm

I actually feel a bit sorry for their fans and student-athletes. The school is chasing a mirage. Not only will 2+ losses be deadly but there seems to be a presumption that they are assured of ten+ win seasons in perpetuity. They deserve recognition for their recent success but you have to assume it will only last for more than just another season or two in FB. BB may be worse.

Reality will be harsh combined with the constant trips to the West. There is a word for it . . hubris.

I will miss them. They belonged in CUSA. Their loss.

:oops:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:57 pm

He will get players, they will play hard for him and SMU will be very dangerous. The challenge Tubbs has is getting a big man who is a true presence on offense and defense, so we can extend the defense.
Hoop Fan

Postby Water Pony » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:05 pm

The next decisions will be who he chooses as his assistants.

The only issue I saw raised was his X & O experience at the college level. Watch for his choices. Recommendations?

:?:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby 50's PONY » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:59 am

Count on Robert Lineburg being one of the assistants!
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby DickerJames » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:34 am

I am happy about this choice between the two finalist. I was hoping we could land a proven program builder, but if assistant coaches were our only option then I think Tubbs was the clear choice. I actually have a good feeling about this hire and I am excited about our move to C-USA.

On a side note, I think Nevada and UAB have a legitimate chance of winning tonight. I would love to see the WAC & C-USA playing for a trip to San Antonio.

GO UAB!
GO NEVADA!
GO SMU! (future NCAA tournament)
DickerJames
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball