PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: men's basketball vs. Memphis

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: men's basketball vs. Memphis

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:21 am

highlander wrote:Admittedly I have not see a whole lot of USF and FAU this season, but after what I have seen over the past several games from the Ponies, I don't see how those two teams are better than us.

If you had watched FAU and USF battle yesterday before our game, you would appreciate how talented both of those teams are. FAU returned most of their final four team and USF completely overhauled their roster. USF struggled in their non-conference but they are really playing well together now. We could easily lose to both of them this week
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:21 pm

Going to be really interesting to see what happens in Florida this week, and we really must finish in the top 4. Getting a two game bye in the tournament is huge, and I think our guys can win the tournament. Fun times ahead hopefully!
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby shadowman » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:24 pm

Unless we really go into a funk, SMU definitely has as good a shot at anyone to win the Conference Tournament. Probably about 6 teams capable of winning it. Just need to keep our momentum going and come into the tournament on a high note and hopefully catch a lucky break our two.

Our 10 deep man rotation should help in playing these games back to back. Our 10 man rotation is legit, with every one of of the 10 capable of of contributing in a big way on any given night. No one else in the conference can go 10 deep at that level of quality.

SMU fans need to show up in force over in Fort Worth and give us the advantage. No reason why we should not have the second most fans there, just behind Memphis. Who knows, with Memphis tanking, their fans may not even travel as well as usual, so we should have the most fans there.

Also, with the ACC tourney locked up in North Carolina for the next few years, this is the last chance for us to see SMU in person during the conference tournament within a short drive from campus.

Go Ponies!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:32 pm

shadowman wrote:Unless we really go into a funk, SMU definitely has as good a shot at anyone to win the Conference Tournament. Probably about 6 teams capable of winning it. Just need to keep our momentum going and come into the tournament on a high note and hopefully catch a lucky break our two.

Our 10 deep man rotation should help in playing these games back to back. Our 10 man rotation is legit, with every one of of the 10 capable of of contributing in a big way on any given night. No one else in the conference can go 10 deep at that level of quality.

SMU fans need to show up in force over in Fort Worth and give us the advantage. No reason why we should not have the second most fans there, just behind Memphis. Who knows, with Memphis tanking, their fans may not even travel as well as usual, so we should have the most fans there.

Also, with the ACC tourney locked up in North Carolina for the next few years, this is the last chance for us to see SMU in person during the conference tournament within a short drive from campus.

Go Ponies!

My guess is that there will be more mean green fans in Ft Worth than what any other team will bring. Hopefully the SMU faithful will show well and as you say, our depth carries this team to the finals. Any team can get hot and start raining threes...the great equalizer in college basketball and why the game has become a guard drive game. I do like the depth we have in the backcourt
Charleston Pony

GAME THREAD: men's basketball vs. Memphis

Postby geezerdonk » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:08 pm

Don't believe that I have ever seen an entire team - players and coaches mail in a game like that. The lack of effort and desire was embarrassing. How can Hardaway keep his job? To SMU's credit, they recognized early on that Memphis was in give up mode and they really took it to them. I have to say that Lanier has done a fine job with this ragtag group. He has lost a gimme or two but he has won or been close in many more games that looked like they didn't really have much of a chance going in. They just got through playing their game of the decade. They will get trounced by the Florida teams and go out early in the conference tournament. And next year - wow. They will be lucky to win three conference games. Too bad. They are a good group of guys.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Hop Sing » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:56 am

I'm hoping Memphis will try to regain some pride after the complete whipping we gave them and beat Charlotte tonight. They are home and fovored by 5.5
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:15 pm

Hop Sing wrote:I'm hoping Memphis will try to regain some pride after the complete whipping we gave them and beat Charlotte tonight. They are home and fovored by 5.5

Most teams respond after humiliating defeats and Memphis had 2 in Texas last week. They have a lot of talented offensive players but don't ask them to defend for more than a couple of minutes!
Charleston Pony

Postby indianmustang » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:57 pm

Mustang from India
indianmustang

Previous

Return to Basketball