PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

serious changes in style compared to Shumate, Dement eras

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

serious changes in style compared to Shumate, Dement eras

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:10 pm

Not to disparage Shumate or Dement, but for the first time in at least 15 years SMU has a player's coach. And for the first time in forever, we have a local guy with local connections in place. Its long overdue and we should all be excited whether Tubbs was your first choice or not. He is going to bring some things we desperately need at the top. We have nothing to lose, nothing. And the upside is tremendous if we support him. You saw Lineburg step up when he got his chance, now watch Tubbs. He will be a presence on the sideline now that its his show.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:16 am

You got your wish, let's hope it's a good one. Time to win on the Hilltop.
Pony_Fan

Things you are likely to see

Postby The Falcon » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:51 am

Congratulations and welcome Coach Tubbs. Good job by the selection committee.

If past history is any indicator you are likely to see the Mustangs display a much better defense, a defense that changes frequently to meet the conditions of the game, a balanced scoring attack, more motion, more picks, and much better team-work. Also more players will play to keep the starters fresh, and the team will play harder for this coach.

This should translate into more wins and hopefully some tournament appearances. Most of the team is back, so we won't be able to bring in many new "Tubbs" people until the 2005-2006 season - Dement had already recruited 3 new players for the 2004-2005 year. I'm looking forward to Roberts who has been a scoring machine in high school and the point guard from Martin might give BHop some rest.

Anyway, I'm excited and I will bring my usual 5-10 people to the game with me. I'll bet we see a lot more Dallas area people coming to the game as well.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:36 am

This was clearly the right move. I'm going to show my support for Coach Tubbs by attending the 10:30am announcement this morning, something I very rarely do. Nice to see wisdom prevail.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby SMUFan » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:18 pm

The team will be a stark contrast to the previous styles, especially the grind-it-out style Shumate coached to help fans cure their insomnia. SMU hoops will be as entertaining as I can recall in a long time.

Coach Tubbs said today that he is going to have the Ponies playing (mostly) man to man defense, because playing a zone is "soft." I love that. He also said we're going to rebound, rebound, rebound, and that we're going to get the ball upcourt in a hurry. He said he doesn't always want to play 5-on-5, that easy baskets and dunks are important.

I expect this hire will inspire BHop to show up in the best shape of his life next year, and I expect we'll witness the re-birth of Justin Isham, who might flourish if the team plays the style Coach Tubbs described today.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:47 pm

I am sure that Tubbs will use whatever defense the opposition merits. His preference sounds like man but I'm sure there will be times that a zone will be used (especially with a large team with poor outside shooting). I can be a pressing or match-up zone, not necessarily a parking lot zone that Dement used.
EastStang

Postby BigEasyPony » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:28 pm

One thing that I want to see is a HC that knows how to develop talent something Dement didn't do well enough. Q was one of the only players that really progressed each year. I pray Tubbs is different.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball