PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD MBB vs ECU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD MBB vs ECU

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:34 am

mustangxc wrote:I hope Memphis wins, Charlotte loses, and SMU wins. I'd like Memphis and FAU to get NCAA bids. I also think we have a better shot at beating USF in the semifinal than we do of beating FAU. Under my scenario the seeding would be:

1 USF
2 FAU
3 Memphis
4 SMU

That's probably the best scenario assuming this team could even get to a 1 vs 4 matchup. As close as so many games have been coming down the stretch I'm expecting to see plenty of upsets in the tourney. We are going to find out whether this team has "post season intensity" starting Sunday in Birmingham because it is now survive and advance time
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:43 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
SMUFan wrote:ECU is, at best, the No. 5 team in the state of North Carolina

That's disrespecting UNC-Greensboro and UNC Asheville!

I had to go back and look at ECU's season after thinking about this comment because I considered adding UNC-Wilmington and even Western Carolina to the list of teams in NC that might be better than ECU...but then I saw that ECU beat UNCW in Greenville early in the season. Not sure how things would have gone if they had played in Wilmington because UNCW is a pretty good team in the Coastal Athletic Conference (previously known as the Colonial Athletic Conference). Bottom line is that we were very fortunate to have been playing ECU last night because they are not very good and any other team in the top half of the AAC would have blown us out the way we played. Let's hope our guys never shoot that poorly again!
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:07 pm

If you want to test all scenarios, try this: https://bball.notnothing.net/aac.php?sport=mbb
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:30 pm

Believe it or not, if we are the 6th seed we have an easier run to the semi finals. As 4th seed we get either UAB, UTSA, or WSU all of whom have given us trouble. At sixth seed we get Temple or Rice, and then Charlotte before playing FAU.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby shadowman » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:15 pm

CA Mustang wrote:If you want to test all scenarios, try this: https://bball.notnothing.net/aac.php?sport=mbb

Heh that tool is pretty slick, but I think it is wrong in the scenario where SMU, Charlotte and Memphis all win. It shows us as being the 4th seed and has this commentary:

1. USF (17 - 1)
2. Charlotte (13 - 5) Above FAU based on head-to-head record (1-0).
3. FAU (13 - 5) Below Charlotte based on head-to-head record (0-1).
4. SMU (12 - 6) Above Memphis based on winning percentage against #6 teams [UAB] (2-0).
5. Memphis (12 - 6) Below SMU based on winning percentage against #6 teams [UAB] (1-1).
6. UAB (11 - 7)

It if starts at the top. we were both 0-1 versus USF, so next: we were both 1-0 versus Charlotte, so next: Memphis would be 2-0 versus FAU and we would be 0-1. that is where it stops and Memphis gets the 4th seed, unless I am missing something. Still pretty cool tool though.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:48 pm

EastStang wrote:Believe it or not, if we are the 6th seed we have an easier run to the semi finals. As 4th seed we get either UAB, UTSA, or WSU all of whom have given us trouble. At sixth seed we get Temple or Rice, and then Charlotte before playing FAU.

That does sound attractive except that Charlotte could get upset early just as easily as we could
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:16 pm

mustangxc wrote:I hope Memphis wins, Charlotte loses, and SMU wins. I'd like Memphis and FAU to get NCAA bids. I also think we have a better shot at beating USF in the semifinal than we do of beating FAU. Under my scenario the seeding would be:

1 USF
2 FAU
3 Memphis
4 SMU

With Memphis losing @ FAU today, we now need UNCC to beat ECU (and of course we need to win @ UAB tomorrow) for SMU to get the 4 seed and potentially play USF before meeting FAU again. Let's just hope our guys "bring it" tomorrow and beat UAB and go into the AAC Tourney with momentum. Given the competitiveness of this conference, I really doubt we will see the top 4 seeds advance to the semi-finals
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:53 pm

ECU made mistake after mistake in the last couple of minutes as they lost a competitive game to Charlotte today so we now know we are playing UAB for the 4th seed tomorrow
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball