PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC Tourney

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

AAC Tourney

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:03 am

So we get the winner of the #11 seed Temple vs #14 seed UTSA in their Wednesday opener. We beat Temple by 13 and lost to UTSA by 4 with both games having been played in Moody. Do we have a preference as to who we play Thursday night to open the tournament? Temple comes in having won 4 of their last 6 games including a 2 point win in San Antonio to close their regular season. Before the season ending loss to Temple, UTSA had won 3 in a row including their win in Moody. I wish I could pencil this one in as a W but the way our guys have been playing :?:
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:14 am

https://fansided.com/betsided/posts/ame ... prediction

Really surprised at these odds after the collapse.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:07 am

Hop Sing wrote:https://fansided.com/betsided/posts/american-athletic-conference-mens-basketball-tournament-preview-odds-prediction

Really surprised at these odds after the collapse.

A little surprised we are ahead of USF...just no respect for what those guys have accomplished. FAU clearly the favorite because they have "been there and done that" so I expect them to turn up the intensity now that we have entered "survive and advance" time.
Charleston Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:31 pm

Will SMU or UNT have more fans at Dickies Arena?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:42 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Will SMU or UNT have more fans at Dickies Arena?

UNT is 4 times the size of SMU so I assume they will have far more fans attend. The real question is which team will advance farther? If both win 1st round games, we presumably get Charlotte and UNT gets FAU so I like our chances more.
Charleston Pony

Postby indianmustang » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:56 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:So we get the winner of the #11 seed Temple vs #14 seed UTSA in their Wednesday opener. We beat Temple by 13 and lost to UTSA by 4 with both games having been played in Moody. Do we have a preference as to who we play Thursday night to open the tournament? Temple comes in having won 4 of their last 6 games including a 2 point win in San Antonio to close their regular season. Before the season ending loss to Temple, UTSA had won 3 in a row including their win in Moody. I wish I could pencil this one in as a W but the way our guys have been playing :?:

wouldnt trust the team
need to win 1 or 2 games to confirm NIT
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:03 am

indianmustang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:So we get the winner of the #11 seed Temple vs #14 seed UTSA in their Wednesday opener. We beat Temple by 13 and lost to UTSA by 4 with both games having been played in Moody. Do we have a preference as to who we play Thursday night to open the tournament? Temple comes in having won 4 of their last 6 games including a 2 point win in San Antonio to close their regular season. Before the season ending loss to Temple, UTSA had won 3 in a row including their win in Moody. I wish I could pencil this one in as a W but the way our guys have been playing :?:

wouldnt trust the team
need to win 1 or 2 games to confirm NIT

I don't think one win gets it done. Need to win at least 2 games and I'm not sure that will get it done
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:11 pm

Wichita State beat Rice 88-81 in a really well played offensive game by both teams. Both teams shot really well (over 50% FGs and 3 point FGs and 70% FTs) Both teams had 22 assists vs 8 turnovers for Rice and only 6 for WSU. Key to their win was that WSU got 15 more FG attempts than Rice, although Rice had 9 more FT attempts and converted 7 more than WSU. Defensive intensity is always the key to winning in the post season but good shooting certainly helps!
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:42 pm

Looks like we get Temple. Hopefully, we bring our big boy pants and beat these guys.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:09 pm

Temple wins a hard fought game where neither team shot very well. Temple played 10 guys although the 9 & 10 guys got 5 & 3 minutes so hopefully they will have some tired legs tomorrow. Let the marathon begin tomorrow night. How many consecutive days can you play before your legs turn to rubber? Hope our guys are up to the challenge
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:17 pm

ECU eliminates Tulsa and Wichita State trying to shock Memphis up 55-50 with 7 minutes to play
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:22 pm

Wichita State now up 57-56 with 3:45 to play
Charleston Pony

Postby indianmustang » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:12 pm

WSU wins
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:45 pm

UNT made it exciting but FAU advances as expected. I like FAU's inbounds play but Davis stopped before half court allowing UNT to make a steal and take a 3 that could have brought them to within one point. Very competitive game. UNT is pretty talented
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:03 am

Temple doesn't shoot as well as they did against us but they still had enough to beat Charlotte and advance to the semi-finals against FAU
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Basketball