PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Just Back from Press Conference

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:53 pm

The duplicity of the situation is, yes SMU has some real talent and athleticism, but we also have glaring weaknesses. We have no pure shooters in the starting lineup and only one pure scorer. We also dont have a tenacious rebounder on the entire roster. Thats not a good combination of deficiencies and you have to recognize them. St. Joes has weak rebounding you say? They also have two pure shooters plus one pure scorer in Nelson. That can overcome rebounding problems. SMU does not have the shooting and scoring punch to overcome lack of rebounding and defensive post presence. That is the truth whether Mike Dement or Jimmy Tubbs or John Wooden are on the sidelines.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Ponymon » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:00 pm

I agree. Expectations are way to high on this board given what I saw last year. Our front line needs serious improvement to contend. While Tubbs recruited some of these players, it still will be basically Dement's recruits that he will have to work with. I expect a winning season and a major upgrade in talent now that Tubbs is the HEAD coach. However, I think its a little much to expect us to be in the final 4 NEXT year! (Again REMEMBER the expectations of Bennett that the posters had when he came in and REMEMBER the REALITY of what ended up happening!)
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:10 pm

All these teams were battling this year in the WAC...lots of pretty evenly matched teams. Nevada had some slip ups as well. If these teams do add to what they already have, it only makes it that much more difficult. Besides Nevada, not many teams are losing that much and can make quick fixes with JC's and fill holes where SMU is left behind...Stallion is correct here. Serious inside need, automatic shooter (like Okeson or Kuebler ), and rebounder like HF said. If SMU could bring in 2 JC's to start and get quality minutes that would help tremendously but it ain't gonna happen. After 2004/5 season, there is quite a drop off with Castro and Simpson gone.

I certainly didn't expect this team to dance but it was quite embarassing to lose those games like they did and flat out quit in a lot of them. I give OK State all the credit now though - I had no idea they were that good and they are just about a 20+ point better team whereas Rice and Boise are definitely not. I expected a 4-5th place finish this year, certainly not next to last with TU.

Man, this game sucks - Uconn might just take everyone.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball