PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Assistants

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Assistants

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:07 pm

Any idea who Tubbs is leaning towards hiring for assistants? Personally, I would like to see any or all of the current assistants and Leonard Bishop (Lincoln HC) is great candidate.
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:24 pm

I should know better than to read something into comments, but I got the impression Tubbs is thinking outside of the program for his staff. Having said that, I am sure he will consider the guys in place, especially Lineburg. Not sure if Tubbs knows Brickey and Crawford very well. I think we all agree he needs to think about rewarding one of the high school coaches that supported him with a position... as long as he doesn't create a vacuum at the program he takes them from making it harder to recruit there later :o
Hoop Fan

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:33 pm

Royce Johnson the present Kimball coach who has his own state championship and played under Tubbs would be another top choice especially as the lead recruiting coach. Isn't he the son of Goree Johnson the long time Coach in the DISD. He's an impressive young coach and his ties to the DISD scene may even be fresher. He may want to make the jump to college much as Tubbs did 10 years ago to work under his mentor. UPON FURTHER REVIEW: I'm not sure Johnson has a state championship because Kimball was beaten on a last second half court prayer in the finals the year(the ball was released with .07 on the clock) before last but that doesn't discredit his achievement. Goree Johnson his father was Kimball coach after Tubbs and before his son. Also Royce Johnson was apparently the coach of the Gold Medalist team at the Global Games International held at SMU which means he was coaching the creme of the Dallas crop.
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:49 pm

yes, and I like the idea of having a future replacement for Tubbs who is a little younger. Ideally, this connection to the community will be permanent, not just a one time thing.
Hoop Fan

Postby ponydawg » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:57 pm

i am excited to see who the new asst. coaches will be. Even though I hate to see people lose their jobs.....
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:49 pm

I thought I read a quote some time back that Jimmy had been thinking for quite some time about what kind of staff he wanted to put together. I've got a hunch he may want guys who are as passionate about Dallas and SMU as he is. If that's the case, Lineburg may be retained and my guess would be that one of the local H.S. guys will end up on his staff. This will be fun to watch. I'm excited about the possibility Jimmy Tubbs can do something that nobody before him has been able to do, i.e., make SMU Dallas' school
Charleston Pony

Re:

Postby HorsePower » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:33 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I thought I read a quote some time back that Jimmy had been thinking for quite some time about what kind of staff he wanted to put together. I've got a hunch he may want guys who are as passionate about Dallas and SMU as he is. If that's the case, Lineburg may be retained and my guess would be that one of the local H.S. guys will end up on his staff. This will be fun to watch. I'm excited about the possibility Jimmy Tubbs can do something that nobody before him has been able to do, i.e., make SMU Dallas' school

For what it's worth, I hear Lineburg has a good chance to be retained.

Charleston's thought about making SMU "Dallas's school" could be Coach Tubbs' lasting legacy. Whether he wins or loses, if he can get Dallas kids to identify with SMU and claim SMU as its own, Coach Tubbs should have a statue of him built outside Moody Coliseum. Of course, the skeptics might offer that he should do some serious winning first, and that's true - winning helps everything. But if he can really make Dallas adopt SMU as its own, that would be monumental.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:06 am

Coach Tubbs needs to dump all the "leftovers" and get a whole new staff. There are considerably more positives than negatives to doing that. The good guys/good coaches under Coach Dement can be good somewhere else. It's the nature of the profession.
Bergermeister

Re:

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:12 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I thought I read a quote some time back that Jimmy had been thinking for quite some time about what kind of staff he wanted to put together. I've got a hunch he may want guys who are as passionate about Dallas and SMU as he is. If that's the case, Lineburg may be retained and my guess would be that one of the local H.S. guys will end up on his staff. This will be fun to watch. I'm excited about the possibility Jimmy Tubbs can do something that nobody before him has been able to do, i.e., make SMU Dallas' school

Amen, I grew tired quickly seeing all those "TCU, Fort Worth's Home Team" billboards while I lived there, and on my trips back there now that I'm in Plano. Worse was seeing it work.

Hope that Lineburg will be retained.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stampede » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:43 pm

Teh job posting have to be up for 10 days. He has a very, very good "idea" about who he wants as assistants and it should be exciting hires for SMU fans.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:37 pm

This is total and complete rampant speculation, but what if Robert Hughes decided he wanted to taste the college game? That guy has so much respect its unbelievable. Another guy who would carry alot of weight is Goree Johnson. Leonard Bishop would be great too, as would Royce Johnson. These guys may not be what Tubbs is thinking at all, but the local possibilities you can imagine are pretty strong.
Hoop Fan

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:42 pm

I'm really surprised we haven't heard much one way or the other about Coach Crawford. He seemed to be more of the 'fatherly' figure to the players, and must've had some influence or relationship with them, as I noticed more than once Dement would shoot him looks if Crawford was doing too much "coaching." When there has been speculation about which asst. would be retained, it wasn't Crawford. I think this is too bad. He at least seemed more friendly and a better PR man.
RGV Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:06 pm

:D I believe Royce Johnson would be a terrific hire. Could get his college career started just like Coach Tubbs did with Shumate. Coach Johnson is a good coach with a lot of enthusiasm. He's been a fan of the program, too.
Bergermeister

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:24 pm

One name I haven't heard bandied about is Richard Bacon. Don't know if anyone remembers him but he used to be Coach at Lincoln when it began its rise to become the top DISD program. He's also had experience as an Assistant when he was on the other Tubbs' staff at TCU. It would be a link to the Dallas coaching ranks without having to take a valuable connection away from the DISD ranks.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:20 pm

I forgot about Bacon, where is he these days? Wonder if he is at Lamar with Billy Tubbs.
Hoop Fan

Next

Return to Basketball