PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lanier is OUT

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Lanier is OUT

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:24 pm

Rice just hired coach Lanier. I’m happy for him and I think it’s a good fit.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:32 am

Hop Sing wrote:Rice just hired coach Lanier. I’m happy for him and I think it’s a good fit.

Good for him. I assume he will take some of our players with him freeing up some more room on next year's roster. Hope he does well in Houston

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ball-coach
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby shadowman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:58 am

I am on the fence on this, I do think we should have given him another year but it wasn't my call. I just hope that the leadership knows what they are doing and already have the guy they want lined up. In my opinion, it would be a bad look to fire a guy after only 2 years and after he doubled the win total in year two if we end up making a lateral move because no "splash" hire is already on board.

If we know that we are relatively certain to hit a home run here with a big time hire like we did with Larry Brown, then it is the right move. If we end up with just another yawner of a hire like Lanier, then it is a bad move.

Good luck to Coach Lanier down at Rice, he was a great guy and good coach. Will be interesting to see how many players follow him down there.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:32 am

shadowman wrote:I am on the fence on this, I do think we should have given him another year but it wasn't my call. I just hope that the leadership knows what they are doing and already have the guy they want lined up. In my opinion, it would be a bad look to fire a guy after only 2 years and after he doubled the win total in year two if we end up making a lateral move because no "splash" hire is already on board.

If we know that we are relatively certain to hit a home run here with a big time hire like we did with Larry Brown, then it is the right move. If we end up with just another yawner of a hire like Lanier, then it is a bad move.

Good luck to Coach Lanier down at Rice, he was a great guy and good coach. Will be interesting to see how many players follow him down there.

This change might also give us a chance for a little roster churn that might not otherwise have happened without a change. I assume Lanier will take some guys with him and a new hire might bring some higher caliber players with him? West Virginia appears to have made a nice hire bringing in the Drake coach whose son was Drake's leading scorer and the Missouri Valley player of the year. Assuming Phelps and Harris want to return, they would benefit from adding another consistent scorer or two. Obviously it would be nice to find that "home run hire" who could immediately attract high caliber players. It will be interesting to see what next year's roster is ultimately going to look like.
Charleston Pony

Postby BergerHouse » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:20 pm

I would be surprised if a new coach was not lined up before the former coach got the hook. I seriously doubt SMU is just out shopping the general coaching populace with the hopes of reeling in the big one. Just waiting for the right timing to make an announcement. IMO.
BergerHouse

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:47 pm

Tick tock tick tock :!:

Who are we rooting for to lose so they can announce the new coach from the sweet 16. :wink:
Last edited by PlanoStang on Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Lefty » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:13 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I assume he will take some of our players with him freeing up some more room on next year's roster. Hope he does well in Houston

I'm with you, in that I wish Coach Lanier nothing but the best at Rice. He seems like a really good man.

But who do you envision him taking south with him? I guess his son, if he hasn't graduated yet (or to get a grad degree). But who else?
Lefty
All-American

Postby orguy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:13 am

shadowman wrote:I am on the fence on this, I do think we should have given him another year but it wasn't my call. I just hope that the leadership knows what they are doing and already have the guy they want lined up. In my opinion, it would be a bad look to fire a guy after only 2 years and after he doubled the win total in year two if we end up making a lateral move because no "splash" hire is already on board.

Well wishes to Coach Lanier. I've mixed feelings too. Rice may be the perfect fit for
his style of program building. I predict much sucess for Owl hoops moving forward.
orguy
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:14 am

Lefty wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I assume he will take some of our players with him freeing up some more room on next year's roster. Hope he does well in Houston

I'm with you, in that I wish Coach Lanier nothing but the best at Rice. He seems like a really good man.

But who do you envision him taking south with him? I guess his son, if he hasn't graduated yet (or to get a grad degree). But who else?

I assumed Emory would follow him to Rice and Hudson has now been with him at 2 different schools so that's another possibility if Rice has openings. I haven't looked at their roster vs any incoming recruits so difficult to say but any time there is a coaching change, guys will be hitting the portal.
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:15 am

BergerHouse wrote:I would be surprised if a new coach was not lined up before the former coach got the hook. I seriously doubt SMU is just out shopping the general coaching populace with the hopes of reeling in the big one. Just waiting for the right timing to make an announcement. IMO.

It would be done and announced if they had an agreement with someone before firing Lanier. My guess is they are counting on money to lure a big hire, and haven’t been able to catch the fish yet. Hopefully they will.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Otto » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:09 pm

Hop Sing wrote:It would be done and announced if they had an agreement with someone before firing Lanier.

Not necessarily. If their top target is still coaching, but they have a handshake deal in place with that coach's agent, they obviously wouldn't announce anything while that coach is still in the postseason.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby Otto » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:45 pm

Looks like Chris Kreider, at least, is following Lanier to Rice.
Good guys. Good luck to them.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball