PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lanier is OUT

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Lanier is OUT

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

Meanwhile...I don't know what kind of guaranteed money Lanier might still have coming but he could be an attractive hire for a lower profile program looking for a new HC. We have several guys on this roster with more eligibility who might follow him to a new program. Emory Lanier and Ja'Heim Hudson immediately come to mind
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:24 pm

Rough bad unfair deal :!: Doubles the number of wins in one year :!: Not given a year to recruit with the ACC membership :?:

We’re fast becoming A$M :!:

If I was a big name I wouldn’t risk my name on a 2 year ultimatum :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:42 pm

SMU did as well as UCF in its new conference (this year), but Cinci won its NIT home game. BYU made it to the NCAAs and top 25 ranking but lost in first round. UH to come. Of course, SMU barely got into the NIT and had to play the toughest team in the tournament at their place.

Will Wade. Will Ok State be a competitor for the coach SMU wants?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby indianmustang » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:15 pm

tristatecoog wrote:SMU did as well as UCF in its new conference (this year), but Cinci won its NIT home game. BYU made it to the NCAAs and top 25 ranking but lost in first round. UH to come. Of course, SMU barely got into the NIT and had to play the toughest team in the tournament at their place.

Will Wade. Will Ok State be a competitor for the coach SMU wants?

People are mad at loosing double digits leads late in the game
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby JasonB » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:39 pm

GHammond wrote:We are still so minor league in many ways. Let’s see if they get “this one” right. Our history in hiring bball coaching studs is fairly limited. Dement, Matty D., Shumate, Tubbs…PonyUp!

A move like this from Miller isn't going to be followed by a weak hire.
JasonB

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:14 am

Graceland Tar Heel wrote:
Graceland Tar Heel wrote:
indianmustang wrote:https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1770883305950552562

Is SMU targeting a guy who is well versed in TX and southwestern coaching and recruiting? Or is SMU going after a guy with ACC experience? Or is SMU going after the biggest hire it can sign?

SAS much as I hate to see any good possibility coming from any Dookie, I think you could do a whole lot worse than getting Chris Collins to lead you into the ACC. He knows the ACC inside out. He has extensive experience at elite private schools. What he has done at Northwestern is a near miracle for what is historically the very worst BT basketball program. I would not be surprised if Stanford were to target Collins.

CCC isn't going to any ACC school not named Duke. Anyway we are keeping him :wink:
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby ShantyBoy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:14 am

He may have signed papers, but no way this came from Hart. And that is a good thing.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:32 am

I guess Rick Barnes was wrong when he said "I'm confident there are great things in store on the hardwood in Dallas."
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:13 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Rough bad unfair deal :!: Doubles the number of wins in one year :!: Not given a year to recruit with the ACC membership :?:

Man, I completely disagree. Watching the games, siting there at Moody...it just felt off all season. Obviously had their moments but it did not feel like this was going in the right direction, no matter who the wins came against.

I'm shocked they pulled the triggered, but it was more than warranted I feel.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Dukie » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:28 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:Rough bad unfair deal :!: Doubles the number of wins in one year :!: Not given a year to recruit with the ACC membership :?:

Man, I completely disagree. Watching the games, siting there at Moody...it just felt off all season. Obviously had their moments but it did not feel like this was going in the right direction, no matter who the wins came against.

I'm shocked they pulled the triggered, but it was more than warranted I feel.

+1. This is the right call. I'm surprised, sad for Lanier and other staff who may depart, but absolutely thrilled overall.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby MDJenkins » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:24 am

Thank you David Miller and President Turner for making this move rather than accepting mediocrity.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:06 am

I agree with Kevin Sherrington of the.DMNews. This is not a good look for SMU. May take a jillion dollar buyout to get a top coach to accept.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:51 am

This might be a “bad look”, but next season was going to be a really bad look. My concern is did we have a plan, or was it knee jerk. True or not, Rick Hart seems like a figure head yes man instead of decision maker. If true, that is never a good thing. The worrisome thing to me is, that whoever the actual man is, gave Tankovich an extension, and hired Lanier.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:14 pm

PlanoStang wrote:I agree with Kevin Sherrington of the.DMNews. This is not a good look for SMU. May take a jillion dollar buyout to get a top coach to accept.

I don’t think you actually agree with him (or that you read his whole column). Yes, he says firing a coach after 2 years is “never a good look.”

That sentence is then followed by “But a lot has changed at SMU since Lanier was hired in the spring of 2022 after a modest track record at Siena and Georgia State.” Sherrington then spends the last five paragraphs explaining why this firing does, indeed, make sense.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:11 pm

It's "win now" time for SMU. There is no reason, now that we are headed to the ACC, that this program shouldn't be competing at the same level as TCU and Baylor. Our current roster isn't doing that and you are right that next year could be really humbling without a change in direction. The question is whether there is another Larry Brown type of hire out there somewhere?
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball