PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Possible Head coaches Names

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Possible Head coaches Names

Postby BergerHouse » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:49 am

Enfield family looking at homes in University Park per Bubble Realty.
BergerHouse

Postby highlander » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:12 am

BergerHouse wrote:Enfield family looking at homes in University Park per Bubble Realty.

uh huh. Really? I thought they were using Nate from Sunny Day Real Estate.
highlander
Varsity

Postby highlander » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 am

Apparently Enfield's wife is from Mustang, OK. Do we need any more evidence that he's the next coach?
Last edited by highlander on Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highlander
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:50 am

I am loving this hire. To the point that if Enfield does not sign a contract, I will be disappointed. What he did at FGCU is more impressive than many of the coaches that have been named in the search and then he has backed it up by producing for a team in a power league - which is where we are headed.

Watch either of these below videos and you will be pumped too. And just remember that this FGCU offense was being run by a PG that did not move on to play in the pros and was not highly recruited.

https://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2021-01-29/di-mbk-march-madness-classics-2013-fgcu-dunk-city-sweet-16
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:04 pm

I don't really know anything about Enfield, but just looking at the numbers I'm impressed by what he's done at USC. Despite beating that first Jank team in the tourney several years ago, which still ticks me off, USC is not an easy place to win in bball. Honestly, I'm not sure why that is other than the fact that I guess USC is totally focused on football. But to win consistently at a school like USC that has a definite bball ceiling is impressive.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby highlander » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:44 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:I don't really know anything about Enfield, but just looking at the numbers I'm impressed by what he's done at USC. Despite beating that first Jank team in the tourney several years ago, which still ticks me off, USC is not an easy place to win in bball. Honestly, I'm not sure why that is other than the fact that I guess USC is totally focused on football. But to win consistently at a school like USC that has a definite bball ceiling is impressive.

I am starting to warm to the idea as well. But like I said, at this point all we have are rumors and unnamed sources.
highlander
Varsity

Postby redpony » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:06 pm

read where he was 105-100 against P12 teams. kind of like us being 6-5 in the aac. wow.

guess being a little school with no real bball program that is the best we could do. guess when you have a coach like LB you should try and keep him instead of running him off.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:26 pm

redpony wrote:read where he was 105-100 against P12 teams. kind of like us being 6-5 in the aac. wow.

guess being a little school with no real bball program that is the best we could do. guess when you have a coach like LB you should try and keep him instead of running him off.

105-100 in the ACC would be pretty darn good.

For comparison - NC state HC is 63-68 in ACC and has 3 NCAA tournaments, 2 NITs in 6 years. (not counting covid year)
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:36 pm

PonyTime wrote:
redpony wrote:read where he was 105-100 against P12 teams. kind of like us being 6-5 in the aac. wow.

105-100 in the ACC would be pretty darn good.

For comparison - NC state HC is 63-68 in ACC and has 3 NCAA tournaments, 2 NITs in 6 years. (not counting covid year)

Yes; playing better than .500 ball in the ACC (depending on your non-conference schedule and results) will almost always get you strong consideration for the NCAA Tourney
Charleston Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:40 pm

“read where he was 105-100 against P12 teams. kind of like us being 6-5 in the aac.”

PAC 12 is just a tad better than the vaunted AAC.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:45 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:I don't really know anything about Enfield, but just looking at the numbers I'm impressed by what he's done at USC. Despite beating that first Jank team in the tourney several years ago, which still ticks me off, USC is not an easy place to win in bball. Honestly, I'm not sure why that is other than the fact that I guess USC is totally focused on football. But to win consistently at a school like USC that has a definite bball ceiling is impressive.

USC is definitely known more for football but they have been in the NCAA Tourney 11 times since 2001 compared to only 2 appearances by SMU. They have what we want, i.e., to be successful and play in the post season in both football and basketball
Charleston Pony

Postby MV pony » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:06 pm

Eliminate his first 2 rebuilding years and his conference win % is much higher.
MV pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:53 pm

MV pony wrote:Eliminate his first 2 rebuilding years and his conference win % is much higher.

True. He took over for Keven O'Neill who was a really curious hire by USC. O'Neill had some success at Marquette but seemed more of an NBA guy than a proven college coach in the years leading up to USC hiring him. Most people remember Enfield's Cinderella season at FGCU. Those kind of seasons always get a coach from a mid-major getting noticed and moving on to bigger things. Closer to home for me, looks like Louisville is hiring Pat Kelsey away from College of Charleston after he took them to consecutive CAC titles and NCAA appearances. He will be an interesting competitor as Louisville tries to rebuild a program that has really bottomed out. Indiana State's coach will undoubtedly get some looks in the not too distant future.
Charleston Pony

Postby Topper » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:54 pm

If you have ever seen a picture of Enfield's wife you know that the man knows how to recruit. By the way, she was born in Mustang, OK. That must count for something as well.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:18 pm

Agree, the coach has selling skills.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball