PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I Thought We Were After a Splash Hire?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I Thought We Were After a Splash Hire?

Postby Nedward » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 pm

Bronny to SMU and Lebron to the Mavs. Then Mavs can sign Bronny as an undrafted FA and he gets one season with Daddy. Lebron then retires and Bronny gets cut.
Nedward
Junior Varsity

Postby Ikus » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 pm

I read somewhere that Enfield has said he would ask his staff to come with him to Dallas, but that he and his family want to "sleep on it over the weekend," in part because his family loves living in Southern California.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 pm

highlander wrote:
HubbaHubba wrote:Still not excited about hiring away an established coach who would have been on the hot seat next season. Seems like thats what the old version of SMU would do.

Well I, for one, am tired of hiring presumed up-and-comers. We got lucky with Lashlee, but otherwise our track record is not good.

I'm concerned we're hiring a down-and-outer but I guess we'll see.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby highlander » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:46 am

Ikus wrote:I read somewhere that Enfield has said he would ask his staff to come with him to Dallas, but that he and his family want to "sleep on it over the weekend," in part because his family loves living in Southern California.

OK if he still hasn't made up his mind on whether he's coming -- if he still needs to sleep on it -- that means it's far from a done deal.
highlander
Varsity

Postby highlander » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:51 am

HubbaHubba wrote:
highlander wrote:
HubbaHubba wrote:Still not excited about hiring away an established coach who would have been on the hot seat next season. Seems like thats what the old version of SMU would do.

Well I, for one, am tired of hiring presumed up-and-comers. We got lucky with Lashlee, but otherwise our track record is not good.

I'm concerned we're hiring a down-and-outer but I guess we'll see.

I don't think ONE bad, injury-filled year qualifies him as a "down-and-outer".
highlander
Varsity

Postby redpony » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:50 pm

highlander wrote:
OK if he still hasn't made up his mind on whether he's coming -- if he still needs to sleep on it -- that means it's far from a done deal.

We need to get the recruiting crew back on the road and find real ' splash' candidates since this guy isn't sure about wanting to come to dallas and smu. even at this late date there are bound to be some top level winning coaches who would be interested.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MV pony » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:27 pm

Done deal. Buyout drops on Monday. Announcement probably on Tues because Mon is April Fool’s Day.
MV pony
All-American

Postby MV pony » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:35 pm

Go back and look at the coach hirings in the last month. I think SMU is the only one gaining a P-5 head coach from a legit P-5 program. Several ACC schools were not so lucky and have taken a step back with their new head coaches.
MV pony
All-American

Postby Sbowd » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:11 pm

Not an exciting hire. But, if he jumps in on recruiting and engages the students/alimni/hoops alumni he’ll get off to a great start. Larry was good but short lived - we need someone we can build around and consistently get to the tournament. That should be success.

We have no tournament success to build on. 1st round losses don’t count (not even goaltending BS).

Make the tourney consistently in the ACC and the narrative changes over time.
Sbowd

Postby highlander » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:01 pm

I am pleasantly surprised we were able to land this guy. One thing I didn’t like about LB is I was always pretty sure he wouldn’t be here for very long. Enfield has spent the last 11 years at USC. Since we are no longer a stepping stone for ambitious coaches, if things go well he could be here for a decade or more.
highlander
Varsity

Postby indianmustang » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:21 am

Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:54 pm

This was absolutely a splash hire and huge get. Loved the press conference, and next year is going to be amazing all around.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby CA Mustang » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:47 pm

MV pony wrote:Go back and look at the coach hirings in the last month. I think SMU is the only one gaining a P-5 head coach from a legit P-5 program. Several ACC schools were not so lucky and have taken a step back with their new head coaches.

Stanford hired their coach from WSU. USC & WSU hires are pending.

For all the talk, there weren't THAT many P-5 jobs open this cycle. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -2024-2025
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ShantyBoy » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:02 pm

Hop Sing wrote:This was absolutely a splash hire and huge get. Loved the press conference, and next year is going to be amazing all around.

I especially loved Mr. Miller’s dig at the little 12. His disdain for that group is real.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:46 pm

ShantyBoy wrote:
Hop Sing wrote:This was absolutely a splash hire and huge get. Loved the press conference, and next year is going to be amazing all around.

I especially loved Mr. Miller’s dig at the little 12. His disdain for that group is real.

Yeah that was great. Being blackballed from the b12 was the best thing that ever happened to us with the PAC implosion. We landed in a better and much more prestigious conference, and the money men are committed to helping us become great. It’s been a long hard road since 1996, but everything is clicking now, and I mean EVERYTHING!
Hop Sing
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball