PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ACC raises the standard?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ACC raises the standard?

Postby SMU93 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:05 pm

Rob Lanier got run because despite the fact that the men doubled their wins from the year before, it was decided that better coaching is needed to be competitive in the ACC … right?

If that is true, why was Toyelle Wilson not canned, too? Lanier doubled his wins, and her team got clearly worse and didn’t get better over the course of the season.

I’m excited about Enfield, but if Lanier wasn’t good enough, Wilson isn’t even close.
SMU93

Re: ACC raises the standard?

Postby Hop Sing » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:14 pm

First off, Lanier is the one that set the low bar in his first year with 10 wins. I don’t follow women’s basketball, but it’s my understanding that they had a lot of injuries on the girls team this year. The money men took care of the most important sport first, and I doubt they had a desire to tackle a sport that not many people watch, which gave her another chance.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby SMU93 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:23 pm

You’re probably right about donors having other priorities. But Wilson is going to be in way over her head next year.
SMU93

Postby mustangxc » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:17 pm

Toyelle inherited a train wreck and hasn't done much but at least there is no player abuse any more. As much as people disliked Jankovich and his results, Rob inherited a team coming off back to back NITs. He is the one that had a horrible first season so the bar was still NIT, not 10 wins, He finally got us back to the NIT, but nothing beyond that and had some epic collapses and did not attract top HS talent despite a very robust NIL program. Women's basketball simply doesn't have the same support that football and men's basketball have. That is bad overall, but does buy the coach more time to get results. I hope she gets it together as she has proven to be successful previously. Time will tell.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:23 pm

Women's BBall also had a whole bunch of injuries of injuries this year, especially at point guard, which really hurt them. If Ella Brow had been out there, things would have been different.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:23 pm

Another Mustang is transferring out: forward Amirah Abdur-Rahim, SMU's third-leading scorer (11.3 points per game) and leading rebounder (5.3 per) announced on social media that she is transferring to Texas A&M.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:04 pm

PonyPride wrote:Another Mustang is transferring out: forward Amirah Abdur-Rahim, SMU's third-leading scorer (11.3 points per game) and leading rebounder (5.3 per) announced on social media that she is transferring to Texas A&M.

Ouch
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball