PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

And no one mentioned Tubbs was black, hurray!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

And no one mentioned Tubbs was black, hurray!

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:54 pm

In all the discussion about how worthy Tubbs is to be the coach, I hardly ever heard anyone say hire him for the sake of EEOC. Neither were there coded, veiled references to Tubbs being one of the "boys" from the hood. I am so glad that BB has progressed to the point that it was Tubbs the recruiter with his state HS championship coach who was hired, not someone to set a precedence as the first minority coach of a major sport on the hill. We've come a long way, baby. I'm on board the Tubbs bandwagon. Unlike the BCS in football, BB can be as much at SMU as
St. Jo's or Seton Hall. Go ponies! :D
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:05 pm

I agree with the tone (although I do remember one redneck thread). But FYI, John Shumate was african-american, so he was technically the first non-white coach of a major sport at SMU.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:24 pm

I really don't think anyone gives a flip if he is purple or green. Tubbs is a great coach and that is what SMU wants/needs.

Go coach Tubbs
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Forgot about Shumate

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:27 pm

Talk about a major oversight, when Shumate was hired, I think we had the same postive attidude about hiring him based on merits. He was great about developing big men underneath, but never had a good outside game. As a die hard Spurs fan, I will always be a Shumate supporter, even if he might not be really good head coach material.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball