PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU's Fab five

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Buddha » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:08 am

One problem: We don't have that many scholarships available.
Another problem: Will Eaton play basketball or football in college? He's a stud in each sport.
Buddha
All-American

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:16 am

Don't be surprised if he tries to do both.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangFan » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:16 pm

I've read a lot about him, but never seen him play either sport. Has anyone seen him? Which sport is he better at?

As much as coaches tend to discourage sharing athletes (see Daniel Hernandez), I would think that this guy is someone for whom you'd have to make an exception.

Then the question becomes, which sport pays his scholarship? If he signs a basketball scholarship, he could be locked up in November. But football has more scholarships available. Either way, I would hope that Coach Bennett and Coach Tubbs could sit down and figure out a way to share him in order to get an athlete like this to SMU.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby MustangSally » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:28 pm

It would have to count as a football scholarship if he plays football plus any other sport. The NCAA made this a rule (I believe) because coaches like Bear Bryant used to just recruit over their scholarship limit for football by giving out track/swimming/golf scholarships. So if a player plays football, it has to come out of that football total, no matter how many other sports he plays.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby MustangFan » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:34 pm

That's right - I'd forgotten that. Thanks, MSally.

I'd still like to see them come up with a scholarship for WR Kenton Thornton. The kid is now 6'6" and he can run. He didn't get the chance to play both sports at UT, where his brothers play(ed), so he started looking at Cal, Colorado State, Davidson, SMU, etc. Now there's talk he might end up going to a small school on the east coast, maybe even an Ivy League school (meaning he's clearly got the grades/test score to get in here). Can you imagine in a few years hearing Paul Tagliabue saying "The Seattle Seahawks select, from Brown/Dartmouth/Columbia, wide receiver Kenton Thornton? He can't be allowed to get away. If we still have a scholarship squirreled away somewhere, don't we need to spend it on a guy like this?

I bet Coach Tubbs wouldn't mind having him on his roster, too. Seems to me like a no-brainer.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby gostangs » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:21 pm

Aitkenhead left and we lost how many others to graduation? Don't we have at least 4 to give - with how many committments? - I am sure someone knows this off the top of their head -

How does the next year look?
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:34 pm

I dont think Aitkenhead was ever on scholarship. At least I hope not, that would have been a big mistake. Tubbs should have 3 scholarships to give next year with Isham, Castro and Simpson graduating. Any 3 of the 5 players AllDallasFan mentioned would be tremendous. In fact one would be good and two would be great. Get two top Dallas players every year and things will be pretty damn fun.
Hoop Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:38 pm

he will have 3 to give and hopefully will convince Bhop to stay 4 yrs so there aren't suddenly 4 openings. Look at what staying did for Jameer Nelson. The better your teammates, the better you can look as a point guard.
Charleston Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:57 pm

If we get Eaton, Flowers, Rogers and Boyd we are looking at a top 20 class. I will be thrilled if we get two. Here’s what I know about each.

Eaton - Will probably play football and basketball in college. I have seen him play many times and he’s a helluva player. He’s a great outside shooter and as good of a rebounding PG as you will find. As a freshman he was a starter on the Lincoln state and national championship team, averaging 8 pts a game. I have heard that UT has already offered him.

Flowers – If I could have only one of these guys, I would pick Flowers. He is exactly what this program is missing...a beast in the middle. He’s strong with a huge wingspan, hits the boards like a madman and can score. He can run the floor and finish like an athletic guard. He does a have a couple of question marks. He has bounced around to several schools during the last few years and his grades could be an issue. He was ineligible for the playoffs, which probably cost Lincoln a state championship. BTW, don’t let the 3 stars fool you, he's a much better player than 3 stars.

Rogers – A lefty who plays along side SMU's #1 target and biggest prize, Darrell Arthur, the 6’9” sophomore. Rogers has nice size and length. He has a lot of upside. If we land him not only would we get a great talent but it could go along way in the recruiting effort for Arthur.

Boyd – Played on a very talented Seagoville team and was often overlooked because of LaMarcus Aldridge and Donald Sloan. He is a very athletic 2 guard, similar to Derrick Roberts. He has a better than average outside shot and is a great defender.

Another one to keep your eye on:

C.J. Miles of Skyline – a lefty who can flat out score the basketball. At 6’6” is a very good rebounder and shoots the three and FTs very well. He had SMU listed last year along with Big XII schools, UCLA, and Arizona St. Landing him might make us forget about the other Skyline product we missed out on many years ago??? Well,.....

With Tubbs connections to DISD all of these guys are within reach for the Mustangs.
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LA_Mustang

Postby BigEasyPony » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:05 pm

I admire the optimism on this board, but there are some perenial powers recruiting these kids so don't get your hopes up. I think a recruit's parents have a lot to say about where these kids go meaning its not up to their high school coach. There is no question that Tubbs' relationships with the local high school coaches will help greatly, but there's a little bit more to it than that. These kids have to be convinced that Tubbs can coach and develop players and they will get good exposure. There are still some questions so that is why this upcoming season will be big b/c Tubbs will have to prove he can win with Dement's talent. Right away we'll find out how he stacks up to Dement in the coaching department. We know he can recruit better than Dement, but he'll be able to immediately address one of the question marks about his hiring.

Go Mustangs!
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:54 pm

Other than stating the obvious, what are you saying? I dont think anyone suggested that we will get all of these kids or that Tubbs coaching will not be under the microscope. That would have been the case for any coach we hired. As for having to prove himself to the coaches and parents of DISD, you must not know much about that situation....believe me, he already has their respect. Of course we will not get all of the DISD big boys but we will be on their radar for the first time since the LJ days, and we will land a few.
LA_Mustang

Postby HorsePower » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:01 pm

Miles (Skyline) is silky-smooth. He's played a little out of position in the post, just because of his height, but when he gets out on the break, he runs and handles the ball like a guard. He can shoot, he can slash to the hole and he can finish. Looks a little like Q - meaning he's a serious player, but he needs to add a ton of strength.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:46 am

LA, it seems to me SMU is now the perfect place for Eaton. I had heard that he was interested in talking to Bennett even before Tubbs was hired. I cant imagine UT being flexible about him playing two sports. SMU has to be. With Tubbs and being close to home and joining BHOP, its almost a perfect fit for Eaton. I don't know who the fifth is, but my Fab 4 over the next two years are Eaton, Flowers, Rogers and then Arthur. Basically a Lincoln-SOC all star team. Could you imagine? I'd say our rebounding would improve with that front line. Arthur might be 6'11 by the time he gets to college.
Hoop Fan

Re:

Postby CoxSMU » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:27 am

MustangFan wrote:Can you imagine in a few years hearing Paul Tagliabue saying "The Seattle Seahawks select, from Brown/Dartmouth/Columbia, wide receiver Kenton Thornton? He can't be allowed to get away. If we still have a scholarship squirreled away somewhere, don't we need to spend it on a guy like this?

Yep, it happens every year. Isn't Marcellus Wiley( the newest Cowboy signee) a Columbia alum? Also, they say Emeka Okafur(sp?) is a helluva smart guy...You gotta love it. I respect athletes that either go to good schools for educational reasons and/or do very well in school...It says a lot about their character...
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:38 pm

HF,
Eaton would be a HUGE addition to either the football or basketball team at SMU. He will probably be a national top 50 player in both sports...how often do you see that?

I believe Tubbs battle for Arthur began last week when he was named HC. He is a program changer....at the Chris Bosh level. He is considered the top sophomore in TX and Rivals has him as the #6 sophomore in the country. It doesnt hurt that he is Q's cousin and it now appears that his HC is one of SMU's biggest fans.
LA_Mustang

Next

Return to Basketball