PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dan Patrick -ESPN

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby gostangs » Mon May 17, 2004 2:10 pm

This is one area it seems we could work better at tapping into. If I was in charge of butts in seats, I would be camped out at methdist HQ's figuring out ways to get their youth groups mobilized, and in each city we travel to we should organize group deals etc... We only have a few advantages - we can't afford not to go after the ones we have.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon May 17, 2004 7:31 pm

I'm all for SMU embracing the Methodist Church...but we also have to find a way to connect with Dallas. That's the real challenge. The metro area is plenty big enough to support quality athletic programs at SMU, but we have a serious dis-connect with the average Joe in Dallas.
Charleston Pony

Postby RGV Pony » Mon May 17, 2004 10:03 pm

I think this is what SMU had in mind when they enlisted the services of The Ticket. I think they could borrown some pages from Mark Cuban, though, if they want to connect with Dallas. Remember Reunion with 5k people in the stands they'd call 12? Winning plays a big role in that, sure...but so did things like answering EVERY email...doing the road-trip ticket thing, etc. etc.
RGV Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon May 17, 2004 10:52 pm

I don't know if you saw the Lecture Series with Udessury (sp?) at Cox but he was awesome and explained the hard work of the Mavs behind the scenes, marketing, and paying attention to every customer. I am afraid SMU doesn't take care of it's own in relation to making them feel special and listening to their needs...the voice that should be heard..
Pony_Fan

Postby EastStang » Tue May 18, 2004 9:13 am

For some bizarre reason the Methodist universities have tended to pursue academic freedom and excellence ahead of maintaining their methodism/Wesley roots. Duke, USC and SMU are all Methodist founded universities. Another possibility why the catholics and Mormans relate to their feature University is that they have been discriminated/persecuted for their religion here in the United States. Baylor works hard to keep and promote its Baptist roots even though it occasionally fights with the powers in the BGCT and the Southern Baptist Convention over academic freedom issues.
EastStang

Postby RGV Pony » Tue May 18, 2004 1:51 pm

I believe Auburn was Methodist-affiliated too. Your example of Baylor is an excellent one...and SMU's size is similar to theirs. Another interesting tidbit is that if you talk to most Methodist ministers who went to Perkins, there seems to be a clear distinction that they went to Perkins...i.e. instead of saying they "went to SMU," they say "Perkins." I don't think the biz. majors say they went to school at Cox.

It was surprising to me when I talked to a female who graduated in 1995 who said that she figured SMU was dominated by more Catholics school than Methodists school based on what most of her classmates were.

As far as how this can all translate into butts in seats, I know there are plenty of Methodist youth groups who love having group outings on Saturdays. They do it at Six Flags, Ski Resorts, etc....why not an SMU game, and emphasize what the "M" stands for.
RGV Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball