PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pony Hoops MUST be televised

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pony Hoops MUST be televised

Postby jc500 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:20 pm

Gents,

JC500 provided an EPIC post in the Kirk Snyder message board that deserves a heading all its own. Please refer to that topic in order to keep abreast of the issues that will dramatically alter Pony Hoops history.

The current discussion revolves around the necessity of bringing consistent local television coverage to the Pony hoops program. In order to progress, we've got to start thinking aggressively about how to make SMU a legitimate program. JC500 sees the value of an effective propaganda arm of the program.

EastStang brought up the example of Jefferson Pilot Sports as a regional entity that brought increased exposure to ACC and SEC sports. WHile the WAC doesn't have the history and tradition of either of those conferences, the exposure can help bridge the gap.

I grew up in Atlanta, so I'm familiar with JP Sports. From what I understand, Jefferson Pilot sports is only a production company that leases a stations' airwaves (or cable bandwidth) over a long period (at certain times) and then creates their own programming and sells their own advertising. It seems totally plausible that one of the more cut-rate local channels in DFW (other markets to follow eventually) would offer up at least weekend time slots to SMU for a decent price.

I seriously doubt the venture would be profitable to begin with. But if the Ponies actually get better, a profit will be made eventually.

I understand the argument that televised home games may detract from the attendance, but I think that sacrifice has to be made in order to increase OVERALL exposure. My position is that ticket prices should be lowered concurrent with the new television coverage.

We need NEW people to view SMU hoops. I'm not worried about people who already know a game is going on. The Pony tradition MUST be televised.

Additionally, as noted in a prior post, this coverage must be excessively praiseworthy of SMU tradition and excellence. I DEMAND feature-length stories about CURRENT SMU ballers at halftime. Additionally, the former PONY GREATS must be exhaulted as well. With the right editing, even John Konkack can be made to look graceful, elegant and visciously tough.

Goebbles didn't have vision,
JC500
jc500
Recruit

Return to Basketball