PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Haith, Roberts land big jobs

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Haith, Roberts land big jobs

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:23 am

Haith got the Miami head coaching job, and Roberts just landed the St. Johns gig. And there were people on here who didn't feel they were qualified for our job. We're lucky they interviewed.
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:18 pm

Wow. I guess Roberts wasnt full of himself after all. I didn't think he had any chance at the St. Johns job based on the early round of candidates. I thought the DePaul coach would take it in the end as a small step up. Wonder if Roberts was who they wanted all along or not. In any case, he may have backed out of the SMU job like OP said, but it still sounds good in the press that he was a finalist for the SMU job as Katz wrote in the Espn article.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:34 pm

Ny Post says St. John's first choice was Paul Hewitt.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:53 pm

Paul Hewitt is the golden boy right now. He would be the first choice of almost any school, and rightfully so.

As for Roberts and Haith, I am surprised by the Roberts hire but not Haith. OP, you are a wise oldpony. :roll: I think Miami is a great gig for Haith. Like UT, Miami is a football school and the pressure will not be overwhelming to win immediately. On the other hand, Roberts has his hands full.
LA_Mustang

Postby PG » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:11 pm

From Andy Katz's story today on ESPN.com:

Roberts has been billed as one of the shining stars in the game. He was a finalist for the SMU job before withdrawing the day before Oklahoma assistant Jimmy Tubbs was hired. He interviewed for the Miami opening, too, before it officially went to Texas associate head coach Frank Haith on Monday.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:13 pm

Now let's all hope that Jimmy Tubbs is so successful at SMU that both Roberts and Haith think they have made a mistake soon.
The key is still getting Tubbs the tools he needs. He can't do this by himself so hopefully a/some deep pocketed booster(s) will see their way clear to build new practice facilities and expand the poorer areas of Big$$$$$-Moody Coliseum.
We really need a Jerry Ford of basketball.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Cheesesteak » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:53 pm

OldPony - make that "We really need a Gerry Ford of Basketball"

You are right...we do.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby OldPony » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:10 pm

Cheese- He is Jerry to friends.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Cheesesteak » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:32 pm

OldPony - Thanks for the information. I'll know in the future.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:23 pm

Haith is familiar with the ACC and it's recruiting territory, Roberts with NYC and Tubbs with Dallas. Everyone wins and these guys all get a chance to prove they belong as head coaches. I prefer this scenario to the recycling of guys who have washed out elsewhere
Charleston Pony

Postby giacfsp » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:43 pm

Sounds like Copeland's statements about the caliber of interested candidates were right on. Roberts and Haith withdrew when they realized they were being passed over for Coach Tubbs. This job apparently held more appeal than I thought.

Good luck, Coach Tubbs.
giacfsp
Heisman

Return to Basketball