PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What's Up With Assistants??

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PG » Thu May 13, 2004 3:56 pm

Maybe we'll get more info soon...

From smumustangs.com today:

Tubbs Adds Heskett To Staff
Former OU Standout Joins SMU

For Immediate Release
Thursday, May 13, 2004

DALLAS (SMU) - Tim Heskett has been named SMU’s Coordinator of Basketball Operations, Head Coach Jimmy Tubbs announced Thursday, May 13.

In his position, Heskett will be involved in coordination of video scouting, on-campus recruiting and other administrative functions.

”Tim will bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to our program,” said Tubbs. “He’s well-prepared for this job, having been a very good player and having served on some very good coaching staffs. He will bring a mental toughness and a team-first attitude as a coach, just as he did as a player.”

Heskett comes to Dallas after two seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Clemson, serving under coaches Larry Shyatt and Oliver Purnell. Prior to his stint at Clemson, he spent the 2001-02 season as administrative assistant under John Kresse at the College of Charleston.

Heskett played for the University of Oklahoma (1997-2001) and was a key reason the Sooners compiled 112 victories in his five seasons with the program. He was the co-captain of the 2000-2001 Big 12 Championship Team and also won the Leadership Award and the Inspirational Award that same season.

He won the team Academic Award and the Hustle Award as a freshman and was named Big 12 Rookie of the Week twice and was named the team's Most Improved Player. Over his career at Oklahoma he scored an even 800 points and dealt out 165 assists against just 95 turnovers. He connected on 215 three-point goals in 540 attempts, a 40 percent figure. At the conclusion of his career he was second in school history in three-point field goals made and fourth in games played.

Heskett started 31 of his 128 career games, including nine in 1998-99 when he averaged 9.5 points per game. He had a 7.4 scoring average in 1999-00 when he started 13 contests. He made 79 three-point goals as a redshirt sophomore in 1998-99, hitting a school-record 47.3 percent of his three-point shots. He was named to the Big 12 All-Bench team and his .838 free throw percentage also led the team. He set a career high with seven three-pointers that year in a win over Western Carolina.

Heskett played his high school basketball in Lexington, S.C., where he was named the 4A Player of the Year as a senior and was a three-time All-State pick. He led his Lexington High team to the state championship and a 26-1 record his senior year. He became the first Lexington High School basketball player to have his jersey retired. Heskett comes from an athletic family, as his sister, Jenny, played golf at the College of Charleston.

"I asked Tim to give my staff and I a clinic to demonstrate his teaching ability," John Kresse said. "He gave one of the greatest lectures I've ever seen. I just couldn't believe a guy who was in his early 20s could deliver such a sound clinic. He dazzled us for three hours. I hired him on the spot."

"The only thing and I don't like about him is that we missed on him recruiting when he was a player," former Clemson head coach Larry Shyatt said. "I didn't want to miss again and was glad to add him to my staff."

Heskett received his management degree from Oklahoma in May of 2001. During his career at Oklahoma he also spent many hours working on community service programs. He was specifically involved in the Feed the Homeless Program, Elementary School Reading Program and Big Brother/Big Sister Program.

Heskett is married to the former Natalie Hixson, making him the son-in-law of former SMU quarterback great Chuck Hixson.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri May 14, 2004 12:49 pm

Anyone heard of this kid? What is the real skinny?
Where is the announcement of the other assistant?

Anywhere here where Dement is? Doesnt sound like too many job offers...
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Sat May 15, 2004 1:58 am

Yeah, I've heard of Heskett. From what I remember reading, he was the consumate gym rat. Nothing mattered to the guy at OU except hoops. He's not tall and wasn't particularly fast, even in his prime, but he would run through fire to chase down a loose ball and was a pretty decent shooter.

Lost track of him after his playing career, though.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball