PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Transfers

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Transfers

Postby PonyFan » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:47 pm

I read recently where some Kansas player (I think his name's Padgett or something) recently became the third KU player THIS OFFSEASON to announce he's transferring. What gives? I thought Coach Self was a players' coach, a guy whose team generally loves playing for him? What's going on up there?
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Mike Damone » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:12 pm

There not his guys, I guess.
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby OldPony » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:53 am

Padgett is a big guy (7') but pretty weak under the basket. He "wants to play for someone who will let him shoot from the outside more"and he does have a very good outside shot from the top of the circle. He was a top recruit by Roy Williams but Self likes the physical guys who will mix it up underneath more. Padgett began the year as a starter but got progressively less playing time. He has fairly slow feet and took a lot of abuse from the fans. Many think he is another Eric Chenowith. I think it shocked Self that he left because he is reported to be a hard worker although a sophomore walk-on (Christian Moody) seemed to progress much faster at what Self wants and was rewarded with a lot of Pdagett's time.
Keith Wilkes' son Omar (a shooting guard) also announced he was leaving KU. He was also one of Roy's boys and has a good outside shot and I think he will have a lot of offers as will Padgett. Wilkes got so little playing time that is was hard to judge his abilities but he certainly has the pedigree.
Self is pretty demanding and, if you don't like his style of play, he invites you to move on. The Ponies would love to get either of these kids but doubt we'll have a great chance although Padgett is said to be considering Nevada so one never knows. Both are reported to be good students so maybe SMU would look good from that standpoint. Supposedly, about 25 schools have called KU re Padgett but I haven't heard much about Wilkes.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:21 am

Ive been somewhat surprised that SMU isnt more attractive to transfers, whether it be bball or football. Particularly Dallas area kids that go out of state and dont get the playing time they hoped for or get homesick. Or guys that go to UT and get stuck at 3rd string their whole career. Maybe Dement didnt really want transfers, I dont know. Seems like Bennett has something going now with Foy Munlin and Alexander Webb sounds like a possibility. It seems to me that transfers are a great way for SMU to bolster its talent levels. Having said that, I find it highly unlikely that the Kansas transfers would consider us, no connection or recent success here.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:21 am

I doubt we have a chance but after beeing treated rather harshly by the fans at KU, Padgett may want to go somewhere he is appreciated. He would definitely be at SMU. His father seems a little controlling and goofy so some of the big schools might not want him. For instance, when Roy left KU, he called Padgett to tell him but after the news had already broken. The father answered and refused to let Roy talk to him becuase he hadn't informed them before the story got out. He also sounds like a [deleted] in the transfer process. He sounds like Luke Axtel's mother.
It always irks me that we not only don't get a chance at guys like this though or even the walk-on who took so much of his time. Jimmy T has his job cut out for him and hopefully he can get enough Dallas kids that others start considering us too.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:13 am

Even though my brain told me not to expect DeAngelo Alexander to come to SMU because he would have lots of options, I must admit being a little disappointed to hear he wasnt even considering SMU. Oh well, he is an Oklahoma kid, places like Arkansas or Tulsa or even Wichita State make as much sense or more than SMU for him. I'm still betting he will go to a big time ESPN program somewhere, something like Georgia Tech I could see.

As for Jimmy Tubbs, I still think he is going to hit the mother lode on some Dallas area talent over the next few years. No guarantees, but I like his chances.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:09 pm

The word I get is that Tubbs is pushing VERY hard for three players: Eaton (already offered), Flowers, and Harris. I know this is nothing new but as I understand it, we really have a good shot at each. Dont be surprised if we end up with two of these guys. BTW, all three are national top 100 caliber players.
LA_Mustang

Postby The Wizard » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:30 pm

Please tell us more about Flowers and Harris. I have seen Eaton play..
The Wizard

Postby Stampede » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:13 pm

Hoop Fan,

D'Angelo Alexander does not have grades to transfer to SMU. Straight from the "horses" mouth
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:31 pm

Grade problem? I hope that doesnt mean he ends up at TCU. Anybody heard anything on Kevin Rogers from SOC? He has Arizona and Texas after him, so its tough I know.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:19 pm

The Wiz,

Gary Flowers is my favorite player of the three. He is a 6'8" SF with great athleticism and Eaton's teammate at Lincoln. He can mix it up in the paint and will be a legit double-double (pts and rebounds) player in college. Rivals lists him as a 4 star (#43 in the country) and Insiders as a 3 star. Personally, I think he is a high 4 star player. On the downside, his grades could be an issue. I'm fairly certain that is why we havent offered him yet.

Terrel Harris is a 6'4" SG at South Garland. Very athletic 2 guard who can take it to the hole and has a better than average outside jumper. Rivals and Insiders have him at 4 stars and Rivals list him as the #48 player in the 05 class. He already has offers from OU, KSU, and TTech, and getting interest from Kansas and UNC.

They are all three terrific players and we would be thrilled to get them.
LA_Mustang

Postby Stallion » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:45 pm

academics could be an issue with Eaton as well since he missed 6 weeks of the season last year due to academics. Don't know his qualification status.
Stallion

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:28 am

Supposedly, Eaton failed a Spanish class and it was just an isolated incident, not a pattern. BTW, since we offered him doesnt that mean he has already been accepted to the school??
LA_Mustang

Postby gostangs » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:35 pm

Its a new day - academics has become a much smaller issue.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:52 pm

that may be true- but if a recruit has a problem with a "core" class it could prevent him from qualifying.
Stallion

Return to Basketball