PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What's the news about Bball Coaches

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What's the news about Bball Coaches

Postby BUS » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:14 am

Ok, someone said Friday, today, was going to be the day to hear about Tubb's two new hires.

I am really looking forward to next year and the following decade. If you were at his press conference , did you see the huge smile on Bhops face why Mr. Tubbs call the few team members out the second time.

Let's go Mustangs
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun May 02, 2004 6:44 pm

Rumor is he's going to hire (or has hired) three more assistants, not two (in addition to Lineburg). One of them will be the previously mentioned Director of Basketball Operations. No names yet, but his search is over, if you believe the almighty grapevine.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby BUS » Mon May 03, 2004 9:48 am

? Director of Basketball Operations?
Is that the persons current title or will be the job at SMU?

Each leads me to another name of candidate.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Prof X » Mon May 03, 2004 5:36 pm

Here's a little something for folks to Kibitz about, until the announcement is official.

http://clemsontigers.collegesports.com/ ... tim00.html
You are all sheep.
Prof X
Scout Team

Postby PG » Mon May 03, 2004 6:16 pm

Tubbs is doing Sampson a favor by hiring Heskett as Dir. of Ops. That was the deal when Tubbs got the job.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby Stampede » Mon May 03, 2004 6:49 pm

PG,

Don't act like that is the deal. Not even close. Remember, Tubbs was familiar with him as a player when SMU played in the Okla. City tourney. Then got acquatnted with him when he got to OU. Tim has only been at Clemson for one year.

Incidentaly, Tim is the son-in-law of former SMU QB ...the great Chuck Hixon. Glad to have Tim as part of the SMU family!!
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby PG » Mon May 03, 2004 8:10 pm

I realize that, Stampede. I didn't mean to imply that there was a Tubbs-Heskett deal when Jimmy got hired, but Sampson did have something to do with Tim getting the job. Trust me on this one. These types of things do happen and there's nothing wrong with it.

Hope Tim does a fine job with the new staff. All I know is he's the main reason we lost to them in OT just a few years ago. One of the tougher losses in recent memory.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon May 03, 2004 8:41 pm

I will agree on the tough loss! I was there too, sitting a few rows behind the SMU bench.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Pony4Life » Tue May 04, 2004 9:13 pm

I have a friend who used to cover OU when Heskett played there. I called him to get the skinny on the guy, and he called him "the ultimate gym rat" - said the OU coaches had to tell him to stop playing, practicing, lifting, etc. He didn't have the advantage of being a 6'9" thoroughbred, so he made up for it with unmatched desire to succeed. If this guy's really on the staff, that attitude has to be contagious, don't you think?
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed May 05, 2004 6:16 pm

I can guarantee that working under John Kresse at the College of Charleston did nothing to curb his intensity.

I love the line Tubbs used in his press conference when he asked his players to come up to the front...that "they weren't moving fast enough". I think everyone is ready for SMU to pick up the pace a bit on the bball court. My bet is the guys will come in next year in the best condition they've been in for years.
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball