PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN Article on Tubbs

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN Article on Tubbs

Postby RGV Pony » Thu May 06, 2004 7:20 am

Now this could be the start of something big. I'm sure everyone saw this morning's article. What does it mean primarily? That the DMN sports editor finally listened to one of the pitches from SMU to do an article with this kind of spin. Now, hopefully this will be followed later on with the news of the hiring of assistants, then later, a big-name signing like Eaton. Combine all this, with hopefully some success next year, and boom! SMU could become a DMN media darling, complete with inserts in the sports section to take to games. Remember the "Red October" inserts they had for the Rangers a few years back? How bout "Moody Madness" or "Mustang Mania" this fall?

I guy can dream, can't he?
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Thu May 06, 2004 8:07 am

Fantastic article.
I also see a good lead in for another article when his Asst. Coaches are hired.
SMU is blessed to have this chance to see J. Tubbs in action.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby DickerJames » Thu May 06, 2004 8:31 am

Great article that confirms my feeling that Jimmy was the right man for SMU, and I wasn't on his bandwagon when the process started.

As for your hopes of the DMN giving us more coverage because of our coaches local ties, don't be confused. They gave the same spread to Bennent when he was hired. The Rangers are the only team playing right now, so they chose a slow time for filler.

The ONLY scenario that will produce significant coverage from the DMN is to win and win BIG, AND, put a significant amount of Butts in seats. It isn't their job to hype the local team, it's their job to sell papers.
DickerJames
All-American

Postby moodymadness » Thu May 06, 2004 10:48 am

Great article. This is obviously a dream job for Tubbs and the article emphasized his work ethic, knowledge of basketball, and his connections in the Dallas community...hopefully this will lead to success for SMU Basketball. Also noticed that the article took some subtle shots at Dement (ie: Tubbs wasn't allowed to work with players as assistant at SMU, Tubbs wasn't growing anymore at SMU under Dement so he left for OK, the players quit last season on Dement). Also, for the Roberts supporters out there... Roberts was quoted in the article and even he conceded the fact that Tubbs was the right person for the SMU job.
moodymadness
Recruit

Postby indianmustang » Thu May 06, 2004 1:26 pm

waiting to see new coach on floor and how he does
indianmustang

Postby ponyboy » Thu May 06, 2004 2:32 pm

Well, one things for sure. Were going to be treated to a different style of basketball!

Go get 'em Coach Tubbs!
ponyboy

Postby The Wizard » Thu May 06, 2004 4:27 pm

Thank goodness, last year was almost unbearable to watch like Bennett football. Zone def is good in certain situations but not every single game and the same formation.
The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Thu May 06, 2004 4:55 pm

Tubbs sounds a little soft (granted I don't know) - will he instill some fire into those two pansies Castro and Simpson?
The Wizard

Postby Big Easy Pony » Thu May 06, 2004 11:39 pm

Yeah, that was called for.

:x

The thing that jumped out of that article at me was the statement about how Coach T's known as a great recruiter, but now he's not going to be out on the road meeting people - his assistants will do that, and he'll be "the closer." Is this a good move? Seems to me recruiting is building relationships, and he was the best. Hopefully he'll continue to do so.

I'm afraid DickerJames is right. The DMN is far more interested in selling papers than in reporting local news. Had this been the end of football/beginning of basketball/hockey season, that article would have been two paragraphs on the page with all the box scores.
Big Easy Pony
Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Tue May 18, 2004 7:30 pm

Terrific article about Coach Tubbs. After talking to some people who know him, I get the impression that "fire" will not be a problem with this team.
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Basketball