PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ike committed !!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ike committed !!!

Postby Stampede » Thu May 06, 2004 5:31 pm

Check out the info on the recruiting page.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby PG » Thu May 06, 2004 8:21 pm

Ike put up better numbers than Simpson and Castro last season so hopefully he'll really help our front line. We need it. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he challenges for a starting spot.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby DickerJames » Fri May 07, 2004 8:03 am

This is a very good sign that better days are coming. Tubbs beat the new "hot coach" Gillispie for this guy, and then the kid is quoted saying how much he likes and wants to play for Tubbs and Lineburg.

Very good news indeed.
DickerJames
All-American

Re:

Postby StangEsq » Fri May 07, 2004 1:43 pm

PG wrote:Ike put up better numbers than Simpson and Castro last season so hopefully he'll really help our front line. We need it. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he challenges for a starting spot.

It sounds like this is a big guy who can step outside and hit the three and we should be excited about his potential. But lettuce not get too carried away here... this guy was playing against teams that SMU could beat by 50. He was rated lower than Chris Reay coming out of high school.
:wink:
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Fri May 07, 2004 4:41 pm

You're right. What would Castro or Simpson have done against that kind of competition? Just because he is a JUCO doesn't mean he is good but hopefully he can be of immediate help off the bench to spell these guys. A lot will depend on his speed and footwork which I doubt he has had a great chance to develop. Maybe he has good speed and fits into the uptempo game Tubbs wants to run. It sounds from others on this board like Bennett may have been a problem on the team (if they know what they're talking about) and so the "trade" would appear to be good from that viewpoint. There will be little change to the starting lineup this next year. This will be a mature team and it will be hard for anyone other than a shooter/slasher to break into the starting lineup. Uptempo should do well by the I Man and BHop but they'll need at least someone to spell them a little. They and the others will really have to condition well over the off season if we are to be good. I would love to see JT go for the runs that Roy Williams puts his players through at the start of the season. Players don't get on the team until they can do his run within the time limits ie they come in in great shape or don't dress until they get that way.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Stampede » Fri May 07, 2004 5:36 pm

Do not worry about that at all, OP. JT is every bit as [deleted] conditioning as the next coach. They have laready had some of those "test" of which you speak. I know this....I could not make 'em....or, for that matter, even come close.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby PG » Fri May 07, 2004 7:03 pm

I spoke to a player recently who said he had the individual workout "from hell" so it sounds like Tubbs is getting after them already.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Mon May 10, 2004 8:48 am

That is music to OP's ears- just as long as OP doesn't have to do it. I like what am I hearing from JT. I still have concerns about the desire of our players after last year but, hopefully, a new coach will be able to convince them of what it takes to be really good.
OldPony
Heisman

Re:

Postby jtstang » Mon May 10, 2004 9:45 am

OldPony wrote:That is music to OP's ears- just as long as OP doesn't have to do it. I like what am I hearing from JT. I still have concerns about the desire of our players after last year but, hopefully, a new coach will be able to convince them of what it takes to be really good.

Do not worry, I will have them in shape. But this is still a stepping stone job for me.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Mon May 10, 2004 9:59 am

Ah Yes JT Stang- But are the steps heading up or down?
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball