PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big loss for UT?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Big loss for UT?

Postby Corso » Sat May 15, 2004 12:19 pm

After signing with the Longhorns, Seagoville center LeMarcus Aldridge threw his hat into the ring for the NBA Draft, although he didn't sign with an agent, and said he'll enroll at UT if he doesn't go in the top 15 or so picks.
Gee, I hate to see the Horns lose out on a prize recruit. After all, it's their birthright to get great prospects, right?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Mike Damone » Sat May 15, 2004 2:45 pm

Funny thing is, that even when you take Aldridge away, they still have a top 5 class including two McDonalds AA's.

Keep on rooting for everyone else to fail, that's what we consider success around here.
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby gostangs » Sun May 16, 2004 12:06 am

Hey - UT fails and I like it - call me petty and small minded, but they do it all off our backs as tax payers, plus the BCS cartel - they get the respect they deserve - with all the advantages they have - they still can't win a big game in football - biggest underachievers in college athletics given the stacked deck they have.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re:

Postby Mike Damone » Sun May 16, 2004 1:18 am

gostangs wrote:they still can't win a big game in football

Take away the word "big" and that describes us.

We have a lot of work to do until we can talk smack about anything. Until then, we should focus on us improving, not hoping the others will fail. But do whatever makes you feel good.
Mike Damone
All-American

Re:

Postby 91Stang » Sun May 16, 2004 11:37 pm

gostangs wrote:Hey - UT fails and I like it - call me petty and small minded, but they do it all off our backs as tax payers, plus the BCS cartel - they get the respect they deserve - with all the advantages they have - they still can't win a big game in football - biggest underachievers in college athletics given the stacked deck they have.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And to be fair, Mike D., I didn't see anyone talking smack. Nobody was saying we're better than UT. Just that we're tired of UT and its fans. And I'm on board with that thinking.
91Stang
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon May 17, 2004 8:56 am

He'll be in Austin next year because he aint going in the top 15.
LA_Mustang

Postby gostangs » Mon May 17, 2004 10:28 am

Thanks 91 - Most of us are just fans - we are not on staff and don't have to behave ourselves when talking about other teams - and we don't have to give respect to UT just because we don't deserve it ourselves yet. Their situation could not be more different then ours - I am sick of hearing about them all the time and this is the prefect place to vent - When they win a few nat'l championships in the modern era then I will give them their due.

We will deserve our due when we get back to a winning season - then we will move up the bar a bit.
gostangs

Re:

Postby PonyTales » Tue May 18, 2004 7:27 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:He'll be in Austin next year because he aint going in the top 15.

I don't know - Detroit took Darko with the #2 pick last year. I'm not saying Aldridge has a chance to go anywhere near that high, but height and long arms and athletic ability make some teams do some funny things. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some team with a really moronic front office (Clippers, Celtics, Wizards, Hawks) takes him a lot higher than he deserves to go. Then he can be the next Jonathan Bender, Kwame Brown, Darko: a big, athletic kid who doesn't know what he's doing yet and needs 4 or 5 years to mature. Of course, during that time, he'll get a coach or two fired and alienate fans who want instant return on a high draft pick.
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Basketball