PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

IKE

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

IKE

Postby 50's PONY » Thu May 20, 2004 12:16 pm

Ofoegbu Signs With SMU
JUCO Standout Signs NLI

For Immediate Release
Wednesday, May 19, 2004

DALLAS (SMU) - Junior college standout Ike Ofoegbu has signed a national letter of intent to play basketball at SMU, Head Coach Jimmy Tubbs announced Wednesday, May 19.

Ofoegbu was a freshman last season at Hill College in Hillsboro and will have three seasons of eligibility remaining. The 6-9, 215-pound forward played in high school at San Antonio Taft where he was ranked as one of the top 75 players in the state by many recruiting services in 2002-03. Ofoegbu picked SMU over Texas A&M, TCU and Indiana State.

As a freshman at Hill in 2003-04, Ofoegbu averaged 12.8 points and 6.3 rebounds and was named the Northern Texas Junior College Athletic Conference’s Freshman of the Year.

"Ike is a talented offensive player who will help us immediately," said Tubbs. "He has good size and will continue to improve as he works in the weight room. He can play both inside and outside and will give us a scoring punch. He's an excellent student as well and he will fit in well at SMU."

"I just thought SMU was a better place for me," said Ofoegbu, whose brother, John, plays for Texas Tech. "I like Coach Tubbs and Coach Lineburg a lot, and I wanted to play for them."

Ofoegbu will join Arlington's Jon Killen, Houston's Derrick Roberts and Tulsa's Paulius Ritter as newcomers to the Mustang squad in 2004-05.
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Thu May 20, 2004 1:28 pm

215 seems light for 6-9 frame - we want this guy at 230-240, don't ya think? We need some athletic widebodies at the 3 & 4.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stampede » Thu May 20, 2004 2:45 pm

One of the highlights of this signing is that SMU beat "aTm" in a head-to-head battle for his services. Coach T is hard at work and dividends are around the corner.

Also, shows tha CUSA will continue to be an option for all to consider.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby BUS » Thu May 20, 2004 2:51 pm

I think I read that Tubbs said that he would benifet from the weight room program at SMU
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby WildHorse » Sun May 23, 2004 6:23 pm

That's heavier, I think, than Simpson was when he got here. And he's become a fine player. And this guy is still what .... 18 years old? He'll add some muscle. I keep hearing that Coach Tubbs is real excited about this kid.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby gostangs » Mon May 24, 2004 8:42 am

Simpson is a fine player, but a great example of what I a was getting at - you need some wide bodies at forward - and we always seem to get the slim guys who get muscled out.
gostangs

Re:

Postby Otto » Mon May 24, 2004 1:44 pm

gostangs wrote:Simpson is a fine player, but a great example of what I a was getting at - you need some wide bodies at forward - and we always seem to get the slim guys who get muscled out.

Eric Castro and Chris Reay weren't slim, even when they signed.
But your point is right on - a wide body who can move would be awesome.
Otto
Heisman

Return to Basketball