PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Montgomery

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Montgomery

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu May 20, 2004 4:04 pm

Mike Montgomery leaving the Cardinals for NBA Warriors - what can he possibly be thinking. College is where the job security is...compared to the NBA.

I wonder who Stanford will hire???

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... llegetonba
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Thu May 20, 2004 9:10 pm

Guess he is thinking he would like to make more money - what an outrageous concept.
gostangs

Postby StangEsq » Thu May 20, 2004 11:14 pm

I think he has a connection with Chris Mullin. It's not like he won't be able to get a college job again if he wants to when he gets fired after a few 20-win seasons. THe ownership there doesn't seem interested in spending money and they are about to lose Foyle, Dampier and Cardinal.
It was a miracle that Musselman won as many games as he did there.
StangEsq
Heisman

Re:

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri May 21, 2004 10:17 am

gostangs wrote:Guess he is thinking he would like to make more money - what an outrageous concept.

Money isn't everything. I would hate to lose all the time vs being secure and winning at a great university...

Chris Mullin is an [deleted] - My friend's brother is Musselman - she went to SMU.. he got voted 2nd for coach of the Year last year with the BS talent on that team.
Pony_Fan

Postby StangEsq » Fri May 21, 2004 10:21 am

Yep and showed a lot of class with his comments aferwards... had only good things to say about that sorry organization.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri May 21, 2004 10:49 am

Yeah, Musselman was royally screwed by the Warriors. He did a great job in a bad situation. Golden State is one of the worst coaching jobs in professional sports. Montgomery has to be doing this for the money and I cant really blame him. He will get a very good college job again after he is fired in three years and be able to live comfortably with his NBA millions.
LA_Mustang

Re: Montgomery

Postby WildHorse » Sun May 23, 2004 6:30 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:Mike Montgomery leaving the Cardinals for NBA Warriors - what can he possibly be thinking. College is where the job security is...compared to the NBA.

I wonder who Stanford will hire???

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... llegetonba

I'm with you - he had such a great gig, coaching the Cardinal to a 25-2 record and the second round of the NCAAs every year. I don't mean that to be rude (they are pretty well known for bowing out early, after all). But he was at a great school and was competing with Duke for the best players in the country (who also happen to be good academically). Maybe there's an ego issue at work here - he wants to know if he could hack it as a pro coach?

Actually, there is a little talent. Jason Richardson has become more than just a dunker. Troy Murphy has developed into a solid power forward. And I imagine that he would not have signed on the dotted line had he not made sure the team could/would work out a deal with Dampier.

And for what it's worth, Adonal Foyle doesn't do a whole lot for me. Brian Cardinal is a complete after-thought. He makes Mike Dunleavy Jr. (who might want to hire a real estate agent soon, since I bet he gets traded soon) look like an MVP candidate.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Mike Damone » Mon May 24, 2004 12:49 pm

He's moving to the highest level of competition and probably doubling his pay to coach a team with no expectations, all without even having to move or leave family and friends behind.

What a [deleted] :roll:
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Otto » Mon May 24, 2004 1:48 pm

Good points, MD, but Stanford might be a better team than Golden State.
Otto
Heisman

Re:

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon May 24, 2004 2:26 pm

Mike Damone wrote:He's moving to the highest level of competition and probably doubling his pay to coach a team with no expectations, all without even having to move or leave family and friends behind.

gee, i'd love work for a sh*tty NBA franchise who has never won squat int he existence and Mullins only to get fired in 3-4 years.. name 1 coach who has made the transition successfully besides Larry Brown?
Pony_Fan

Re:

Postby Mike Damone » Mon May 24, 2004 3:49 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:
Mike Damone wrote:He's moving to the highest level of competition and probably doubling his pay to coach a team with no expectations, all without even having to move or leave family and friends behind.

gee, i'd love work for a sh*tty NBA franchise who has never won squat int he existence and Mullins only to get fired in 3-4 years.. name 1 coach who has made the transition successfully besides Larry Brown?

First off, it doesn't have to stay a sh*tty franchise. I know of a franchise close by that has never won anything, but has become one of he most attractive and exciting franchises in the NBA. The Bulls were once a *** franchise. Same with the Spurs. Same with the Kings, Grizzlies, and Nuggets. Take a look at the Cavs, one draft pick is going to change the direction of that franchise.

Second, no, college coaches haven't been very successful in making the transition to the NBA. Its a challenge. Maybe he could be the first. Should he give up before he even tries?

Third, he could go 0-82, make a few million dollars, get fired, and have his choice of whatever college jobs are open next year.

He really can't lose. I can't see what's wrong with taking on a challenge.
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby StangEsq » Mon May 24, 2004 4:03 pm

In the NBA it's important to have both good talent evaluators AND an ownership that's willing to spend the dollars to keep talent as it matures. The Warriors lack the latter and will not compete until that changes.
StangEsq
Heisman

Return to Basketball