PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I love to hate the Lakers

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I love to hate the Lakers

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:11 pm

Thanks to the NBA finals, we have some real basketball to entertain us while waiting until Fall practice and the Tubbs team to come. Since I am a die-hard Spurs fanatic, not only do I like to love to hate the Lakers, but Larry Brown broke-in David Robinson into the NBA ince upon a time. And Popovich is Brown's best friend. So while I dream of Doc Hayes and the return of SMU to basketball power, Go Pistons in game three!
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

oops

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:13 pm

make that "into the NBA once upon a time." My bad. Sure wish the Spurs had good outside shooting.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Corso » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:30 pm

The Spurs' outside shooting isn't that bad, as I recall. Tony Parker, Manu Genobli and even Tim Duncan can stick the outside J.

And while I tend to get sick of the Lakers, I would like to see Malone and Payton get rings. They each had chances to leave their original teams for big bucks but stayed with their teams for a long time. You can't blame Payton for leaving the Sonics - they dumped him. Malone could have left Utah many times, but stayed with Stockton to try to bring a championship there. I don't begrudge them at all the chance to get a title before they retire. It makes me a little sick to see Kobe made out as a hero for his courtroom-to-basketball court routine, but I think both of the elder statesmen there deserve a ring for their great careers.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:56 pm

Don’t be hatin on the Lake Show! :twisted:

The Mavs are my team but while living So Cal the Lakers became my adopted team. I had the pleasure of watching Kobe come into the league and grow into the most talented basketball player I have ever seen play (Yes, I saw MJ play in his prime and he is probably my favorite athlete of all time). But Kobe has the same drive, the same confidence, and IMO, more talent than Jordan. For multiple reasons a lot of people don’t like Kobe (loner persona, rape allegation, cockiness) but as a basketball player, he is on a path to become the greatest....with or without The Daddy (Shaq).
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Pistons up 2-1, hurray!

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:28 pm

I'm really loving the beating that the Lakers got in game 3 in Detroit. As for Kobe, an MJ he is not. A good defense can shut Bryant down. Nobody could shut down Air Jordan. Larry Brown for Presidetn!
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:35 am

I loved the D played by Detroit.

I think/HOPE that Mr. Tubbs has the same concept for our team!! From what he said at the press conference he wants tough D, lots of rebounds and then RUN.

Go Mustangs.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

The only \"D\" El Lay has is Denial

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:49 am

Sunday night Larry Brown will show the Quakers that Defense comes to play every night. The team that has won the third game in the finals almost always wins the title. Say goodby to Kobe as he enjoys his last moments in the free world. Say goodby to Malone who retires without a ring like Charles Barkley. Who cares who happens to Payton! If it can't be ther Spurs, then Pistons rule.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Pistons up 3-1 over El Lay Quakers

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:10 pm

The Leakers took it in the shorts in game 4. Kobe was shut down some more, proving that Shaq can't hack it by himself. Larry Brown for president, or at least for Secretary of Defense. Does anyone think that this series will go back to El Lay? Phil Jackson is no Red Auerbach. If not the Spurs, then Go Pistons!
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby moodymadness » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:17 pm

LA is done and will be finished off in game 5. They were in a must win situation in game 2 and it took a kobe miracle to get the win. Got blown out in game 3. Another must win situation in game 4 and still couldn't get it done. Malone is hurt. Payton is a non-factor. The bench is weak. Kobe can't get any easy looks. I didn't think it would be this enjoyable to watch the lakers go down in flames!
moodymadness
Recruit

Tick Tock, the 11th hour in Detriot

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:31 pm

The defeated look on the Quaker bench in game 4 made them look like losers who know that their time has run out. Even Phil Jackson had fear in his eyes like condemed man. Game 5 is going to be uproarious in the Pisotns home court. The crowd shall "will" the team to a championship on thier home court. How sweet it is!
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Pistons Rule! Lakers drool!

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:56 pm

Ok, its juvenile to chant "rule & drool," but watching the Lakers self-destruct has been a real delight. This defeat may send Phil Jackson on a sabbatical. I'll bet he ends up with the Knicks someday. As for Larry Brown, he has set a precedent that may never be repeated unless John Wooden comes out of retirement to coach an NBA franchise.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball