PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Good ole Roy Williams

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Good ole Roy Williams

Postby OldPony » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:14 am

I see where he has asked KU to talk to David Padgett after Padgett decided to leave KU. Only a month ago, Roy swore he had not tampered with him and how he wouldn't go for Padgett. This guy is one of the game's biggest hypocrits. It would only serve him right to take the stiff and waste a good schollie. Padgett's father is one of those guys who attends practices and then hangs around the coaches office to let the coach know how to better utilize his kid. I'm sure we'll see crying Roy on TV again saying how wrong it is to question his motives or ethics. BTW- Roy is well known around KC as Mr. October.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby WildHorse » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:01 pm

As he should be. He's the basketball equivalent of Mack Brown - amazing recruiter who's won exactly nothing. Only difference, from what I hear, is that Mack Brown is an honest, upfront guy who tells it like it is. If he doesn't win any big games, that's life. He charms the hell out of players and their parents en route to signing a stellar recruiting class each year, and then gives it a shot. How Williams endears himself to the media and fans is beyond me. The first time he was wooed by UNC, he parlayed it in to a raise from Kansas. When the talent level slipped a notch at Kansas, suddenly he felt compelled to "go home" to Carolina. I never believe a thing that comes out of that guy's mouth.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby OldPony » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:11 pm

You're exactly right. He wouldn't leave with 2 All Americas returning but IMHO plotted with Dean Smith to sandbag Matt D. (his former disciple) the next year. What do you think Dean would say if the players griped to him about Roy. Roy twice (and maybe 3 times) had the best team in college basketball with no championships. He cries and plays like everyone is insulting him when Padgett quit KU but look what happened. The guy is a total weenie but the press loves him. KU is much better off with Self
OldPony
Heisman

Re:

Postby Red+BlueDude » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:42 pm

OldPony wrote:You're exactly right. He wouldn't leave with 2 All Americas returning but IMHO plotted with Dean Smith to sandbag Matt D. (his former disciple) the next year. What do you think Dean would say if the players griped to him about Roy. Roy twice (and maybe 3 times) had the best team in college basketball with no championships. He cries and plays like everyone is insulting him when Padgett quit KU but look what happened. The guy is a total weenie but the press loves him. KU is much better off with Self

Absolutely. Even with players jumping ship in Lawrence, Kansas is better off. Self will recruit as well or better than Williams ever did, and he can actually coach. Give him the same caliber of players Williams had over the year and there's another banner or two hanging in Jayhawkland. KU fans seemed to buy into the "Roy is God" speel that Williams pitched to the media, and therefore there were a lot up of upset KU fans when he left for Chapel Hill. They'll soon realize how much better things are now that he's been replaced.
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Postby abezontar » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:42 pm

My older sister went to KU, and I have always pulled for them (when SMU isn't playing them of course). Admitedly I bought into all the hype about Roy Williams, but when he decided to go to UNC, I took off the rose colored glasses, and now the only thing that would make me happier than seeing KU and Bill Self when a championship before Williams and UNC is seeing SMU when a championship (again hopefully before Williams and UNC).
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball