PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Student Fitness Center

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Student Fitness Center

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:31 pm

Saw the dirt turned adjacent to Moody/Dedman? Any ideas on a completion date? Also, is Moody scheduled for any improvements whatsoever? Maybe a good cleanin' and the floor varnished? And one more... are we tearing down the metal building that was temporary quarters for football during Ford construction? The architecture doesn't seem to fit in. (Thanks for your patience.)
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:57 pm

I am pretty sure HP/UP won't let them keep it much longer. When the reopened the building as a temporary weight room, it was named the cinco center because UP/HP would only let them keep the building for another 5 years. I don't believe that the park cities appreciates the metal warehouse style. I don't know anything about Moody renovations, and the new student rec facility should be done within 2 years at the most (my assumption). If you are really curious you could call Austin Commercial they are the general contractor doing the job.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:30 pm

Here is the development information for the new Dedman Center for Lifetim Sports:

http://www.smu.edu/recsports/dedman_center_info.html

:)

Here are the drawings of what it will look like:

http://www.smu.edu/recsports/dedman_center_proposal.htm

8)
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:25 pm

that is going to be a beautiful facility. smu is such a gem, and still so unknown to most high school students outside of texas...

hopefully athletic success will garner much better name recognition and better students as well.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Band Hall

Postby DiamondM » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:22 am

One additional feature that is not mentioned but is in the works is a new home for The Mustang Band. :D

I believe that the addition of the volleyball and basketball courts is one of the steps that will enable renovations in Moody to begin. Since there was no place to put the volleyball and basketball team if Moody goes under the knife, this had to be done first.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:26 am

I was curious why they were making built in seating on the courts in the new Dedman. I know some people come to watch Instramurals but its not many. I wonder if the plan is to let Volleyball play their games in a more intimate and appropriate venue.
Hoop Fan

Re:

Postby PK » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:05 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:I was curious why they were making built in seating on the courts in the new Dedman. I know some people come to watch Instramurals but its not many. I wonder if the plan is to let Volleyball play their games in a more intimate and appropriate venue.
The seating looks to be very minimal at best and probably is for intramural purposes only.
PK

Seating for 300

Postby DiamondM » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:18 pm

I'm pretty sure the seating for 300 is designed for volleyball, not intermurals.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:47 am

What's in store for the old Perkins Gym (natatorium)?
Bergermeister

Postby couch 'em » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:05 pm

Probably the wrecking ball. With some of the giant foundation cracks in the building I'm amazed it hasn't been condemed. I'd like to think the Mustang Band contributed to this in some way :twisted:
couch 'em

Postby Water Pony » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:13 pm

Sorry you brought up the topic of the Perkins Natatorium, which is my number one issue.

Situation: Ancient facility with only six swimming lanes and no diving well in a dark, former gymnasium. I spent a lot of time in the pool and love the memories, but it is no longer competitive. Our Men's, and now, Women's Swim & Diving Teams compete with facilities less than those for an average Division Three School or a good High School program. Recruiting is handicapped and training four teams - Men and Women Swimming and Diving - limits proper training time as well as it's quality.

My answer and a mail campaign was to combine the needs of the new recreational pool intended for the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports with the varsity requirements. The new rec pool cost could have been added to funds already ear-marked for a new competitive pool with Swimming Alumni Base ready to step up. The result would have been a very nice aquatic center (50 meters by 25 yards with a diving well) which would have generously served the recreational needs of the student body as well as the Men's and Women's Teams.

But, this approach was dismissed by the Recreational Department. What a missed opportunity. Now, replacing Perkins becomes financially more challenging. Fixing it up would be a half measure by going into the Band Areas, which will be vacated. Hate to see these swim/diving programs not have the means to compete well into the future, especially in light of the unfortunate loss of Men's Track & Field.

The fact that Swim & Diving Teams have been strong for decades is no assurance they will remain that way. Sorry for the core dump! And, at this moment, there is no answer

:evil:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:32 am

:lol: Hopefully, this can be resolved soon. I like the idea of a "commitment" and a new, state-of-the-art natatorium right where Perkins is right now. Could we train and swim at Loos for a year? Showcase our swimming and diving facility on the Boulevard! A fitting tribute to a grand tradition of championship teams and olympic medalists.
Bergermeister

Postby Water Pony » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:43 am

I like it but, unfortunately, it would be very expen$ive. Hard to justify in a tight Capital budget. Money can be raised but not enough to cover most of it.

:?
Last edited by Water Pony on Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby mrydel » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:45 am

I know this is about swimming on the BB board but I just want to recall that durng my days (68-72) the football team was asked strongly to attend a swimming meet , SMU vs. Michigan. We all treked over to the Natatorium like good soldiers, and found it to be, at least in my opinion, the most exciting sporting event I have ever attended. I gained a whole new perspective on the sport and certainly the level of competition that SMU had at that time. Michigan was one of the top rated teams in the country and SMU edged them in the final relay for the victory. That said, anything that can be done to better the swimming facilities and keep the program on a high level is great in my mind.
mrydel

Postby bubba pony » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:04 pm

mrydel, I was at the meet and attended SMU exact same years . I recall the Michigan players chanting MICH-I-GAN, MICH-I-GAN and then the crowd drowned them out with S-M-U, S-M-U and the final relay started and SMU upset the favored Michigan. all these years and I remember the crowd pumped up the SMU swimmers to win it. great moment in sports.
bubba pony
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball