PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NBA Draft

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NBA Draft

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:03 am

I'm glad Bryan Hopkins didn't go through with the idea of declaring for the Draft -- good player, we'd miss him, he still has room to improve, and all that. But the reason I'm glad he wasn't a part of the Draft this year is because it will give ESPN another year to get some new announcers. Did you see that last night? Some of them (Jay Bilas) are outstanding, but some of them are nothing short of ridiculous.

First you had Jim Gray, the premier vulture in all of sportscasting (who can forget his sensitive inquisition of Pete Rose on the night Rose was allowed back on a field so fans could cheer for him?) Gray has a unique ability to lob meaningless softball questions at an interview subject and somehow still come off as an anything-for-a-story slime. Makes my skin crawl.

Then you have Mark Jones, the most un-hip guy out there. He used to host the "NBA Today" show on ESPN, and is so bad that last night he was relegated to interviewing players' family members at the tables. ("You must be really proud of your son." Really? You think? No kidding!) That guy doesn't have enough interview skills to ask for directions.

Then there's the omnipresent Stuart Scott. Please kill me if he hosts another Draft. Between the 12-grip handshakes with the players and the shameless pimping for North Carolina (to Luol Deng: "I'm still mad at you for what you did to the Tar Heels" - nothing like a little objectivity, and way to steal the attention away from the segment that was supposed to be about Deng, not about Scott's pent-up infatuation with UNC), I really wanted to get sick. And just to make sure I did, in his analysis, Scott kept referring to players (mostly of guys he undoubtedly has never seen) as "kid," "dude," "playa" or "my man."

If Hopkins had gone pro, and been lucky enough to get drafted, I think I'd have gotten sick watching those guys working their act with an SMU player. All they were missing was Brent Musberger.

Who would have thought there would actually be a day when people would watch the NBA Draft and actually begin to miss Hubie Brown and Bill Walton behind the desk?
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:45 am

Hopkins has some work to do before he is NBA ready. Assists/TO's especially..
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:33 am

Mean ole Jim Gray. Picking on poor wholesome Petey. Shame, shame.

Hop made the right decision. He showed flashes of brilliance last year but not enough consistency to be drafted. This could be a breakout year for him and will help him immeasurably in the eyes of the talent scouts if he is successful.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby StangEsq » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:20 am

I thought the Jim Gray interview of Rose was funny... but I would've rather watched Mike Tyson chew Pete's ear off. Pete is a sorry SOB who will hopefully never get a chance to further tarnish a game that could use an image overhaul as it is.

Can you believe Royal Ivey was drafted? Isn't that the same Royal Ivey who averaged less than 10 points this year? Maybe Justin Isham should've entered the draft.
StangEsq
Heisman

Re:

Postby SMUguy » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:37 pm

OldPony wrote:Mean ole Jim Gray. Picking on poor wholesome Petey. Shame, shame.

Hop made the right decision. He showed flashes of brilliance last year but not enough consistency to be drafted. This could be a breakout year for him and will help him immeasurably in the eyes of the talent scouts if he is successful.

You're right, Rose is no saint. But DD also is right in that asking him about that on the field that night was way out of line.

And no, I couldn't believe Royal Ivy got picked. If any cow got picked, I figured some team would see a poor man's Ben Wallace in James Thomas. Ivy was a shocker to me.
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:23 pm

I could care less if anyone asks Petey anything anywhere. The guy is a jerk and desrves to be treated like one. Great player but there is nothing else to say nice about him.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball