PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chris Reay

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Chris Reay

Postby Lotus » Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:44 pm

Is that story on the home page true - he's trying out for the New Zealand National Team? Is he from there, or just have family there?
Good luck to him.
Lotus
All-American

Postby Swamp Gas » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:14 pm

Awesome! I only made a couple of games last year, and he didn't get into either one, so I've never seen him play. But it would be cool to see him get some real playing time over there.

Is New Zealand's team going to be in the Olympics?
Swamp Gas
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:37 pm

The story said his father is from New Zealand.

Any additional practice we can get for our big men during the summer is a positive.
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPower » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:00 pm

Right you are, LA - the international experience these guys (Reay, Hopkins, Rackauskas, Ritter, Roberts) are getting can only make them better when Coach Tubbs gets ahold of them in the fall.
PonyPower
All-American

Postby SMUFan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:53 am

I'm the first to admit that the first time I saw Reay play, I wondered who he is, and why he was recruited. But when the team went through its skid before the coaching change, Reay hustled more than any player on the team. He saw an opportunity to make the most of a situation and worked his tail off. At that point, I became a Chris Reay fan. Kudos to him on getting this chance with the NZ team.
SMUFan
All-American

Chris Reay

Postby The Falcon » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:56 am

I watched Chris play at Plano West for 2 years and I agree with the earlier poster who said he played his tail off when SMU was in a funk at the end of the year going through the coaching changes.

He is a solid player, will do what he is told, is smart, and will be a greAt team player. He needs to get meaner and more forceful underneath, and if he can do that, he will definitely be an asset to this team. He moves well and has good moves. The other area for improvement - he needs to work on his free throws. It always amazes me that big guys llike Reay can shoot fairly well
from 15 - 18 feet while out on the floor but can't see to hit free throws. '

I like this kid a lot and think this New Zealand tour will be great for him
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Casey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:55 am

From the little I saw of him last year, I agree - got to get meaner. He's a big strong kid who hustles his tail off, but as thick as he is, he should be throwing people around under the hoop. He doesn't need to do anything fancy, just take on the mindset that every rebound and loose ball is his. He seemed like a guy whose energy is infections, and it might wear off on his teammates. I definitely liked his attitude when the team was skidding last year.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:53 pm

Chris Reay makes New Zealand team!!!! (called the Tall Blacks) Will play his first game on Friday night against Australia.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=40981&c=w
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby giacfsp » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:18 am

How weird would it be if Dan Bell introduces Reay next year as "a sophomore from Plano, standing 2.05 metres .... Chris Reay!" We all know how big he is - just sounds funny in metric.
Good luck, Chris!
giacfsp
Heisman

Return to Basketball