PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Global Games - Comment

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Global Games - Comment

Postby The Falcon » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:15 am

Watching the U.S. team reminds me of why I have never liked watching
All-Star games of almost any type. Most of the players on this current
team are foul mouthed, ball-hogging, ego sponges who want to shoot
everytime they touch the ball and yearn to be discovered by the NBA
scouts in the stands.

All of the comments about Eaton on previous posts are probably correct in that he is a very talented kid, especially for being 15-16 yrs old with another year left in high school. He clearly has skills and electrifying quickness; however, he plays very stupidly. His shot selections remind me of Sasser and he is not looking to assist anyone who has an easy layup. He missed several opportunities in the Russian game to hit guys for potentially easy baskets on fast breaks while he shot an ill-advised 3.

Hackett - the kid going to TCU is very similar - the program said he once scored back to back games of 50 and 70 points in high school. To do so he probably shot 100 times and 200 times respectively because he did not show an inclination to pass the ball.

The US plays street ball and has very little team work. Most of the other teams have been playing together for quite a while. For the most part each plays as a team. They play smarter than the U.S. The U.S. is
clearly more talented individually but I don't think they will win this tournament because of my previous remarks.

Having vented my frustration with some of the immature and selfish play of the U.S. players - let me end on a positive note. Our recruit Roberts appears to have great tools. He passed the ball and had a couple of beautiful assists. His shooting percentage for the tournament has been
excellent (above 50%) and he has a few rebounds. He is obviously a team player and seems good on defense. I believe he definitely will be a force on the SMU team and will give us another quick player with great speed and leaping ability to compliment Bhop, Isham, and Pearson.
This could be a much better team than last year's and with Tubb's ability to coach defense, we will be much more exciting to watch.

The comments about the coaching in previous posts are on target. I realize it is not easy to coach this type of team, especially since it is stocked with ballhogging showoffs who don't appear to be very bright,
but - this coach stayed in a zone defense throughout most of the game with Russia (didn't see the Croatia game.) This fed right into the Russians
hands because they move the ball well and killed us with 3 point shooting.
He should have pressed the whole game and used his full bench to give rest. This would have allowed all players more equal playing time.
This coach obviously should have used Roberts more.
The Falcon
All-American

Re: Global Games - Comment

Postby PonyFan » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:00 am

The Falcon wrote:Watching the U.S. team reminds me of why I have never liked watching All-Star games of almost any type. Most of the players on this current team are foul mouthed, ball-hogging, ego sponges who want to shoot everytime they touch the ball and yearn to be discovered by the NBA scouts in the stands.

True - all dunks and ill-advised 3s. Ugly basketball. And the thuggery (hacks/fouls, trash talk) was rampant.

The Falcon wrote: All of the comments about Eaton on previous posts are probably correct in that he is a very talented kid, especially for being 15-16 yrs old with another year left in high school. He clearly has skills and electrifying quickness; however, he plays very stupidly. His shot selections remind me of Sasser and he is not looking to assist anyone who has an easy layup. He missed several opportunities in the Russian game to hit guys for potentially easy baskets on fast breaks while he shot an ill-advised 3....

Well, Eaton had a nice flip to Roberts for a great dunk (damn, he can get UP!), but you're right, he jacked up some bad shots. Looks like he has a decent outside shot. The Croatians had a much better understanding of the game (passing, defense, etc.)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Lefty » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:15 am

Is Coach Tubbs going to these Global Games? I saw a roster and there's a sophomore from Seagoville on there. My buddy read his bio to me, and someone seems to think he's one of the best sophomores in the state. Donald Stone or something - anyone know about him?
Lefty
All-American

Postby Stampede » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:06 am

NO....Tubbs, nor any member of his staff, is at the Global Games....they are not allowed to go due to NCAA rules.

Incidentally, Coach T is very aware of the local talent and is keeping a very watchful eye on each and every one. Keep 'em comin'.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Return to Basketball