PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2004 Schedule

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2004 Schedule

Postby youngalumpony » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:17 am

Just checked out the month by month schedule of smu athletic events for next year listed on smumustangs.com, and noticed some of the basketball games that are already on the schedule. Im sure its not complete, I counted 7 non conference games, but the 4 home games listed are ut tyler, texas state, baylor, and ark pine bluff. The three road games are tcu, texas tech, and montana state. Clearly decided to go a much easier route than the last few years, same with the women's bball schedule for those interested.
youngalumpony
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:41 am

That's good news that we're scheduling more patsies. I especially like the Montana State game. As a flyfisherman, ain't no better place than the Bozeman environs over the Thanksgiving weekend!
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:44 am

As a hunter either. Be fun to organize a cast and blast and ball weekend!
ponyboy

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:59 am

All I see is W's bball listed month by month
Pony_Fan

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:21 pm

UT Tyler? You've got to be kidding me. They're a D3 school in their 2nd year of existence.

I ran into an assistant coach from UT-Pan American on the plan awhile back & he said that SMU was to have played UTPA again this year, but that SMU nixed the game.

One would have thought that a W against a D1 school (likely assured vs. UTPA) would be preferred over a W against a lowly D3 school.
RGV Pony

Postby PK » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:22 pm

THERE ARE NO MENS BASKETBALL GAMES LISTED ON THE 2004 SCHEDULE YET ON SMUMUSTANGS.COM...what are you smoking youngalumpony??? Or are you just blowing smoke up our collective skirt???
PK

Postby youngalumpony » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:52 am

Don't worry PK I'm not getting anywhere near your skirt. You're right, for whatever reason the mens games arent on there anymore, obviously its not a complete and finalized schedule, so they're gonna probably take it on and off til its complete. But trust me I know what I saw, and those games i mentioned at the top are the ones that were on there. I'm still pretty young at 23, lets hope I'm not going crazy yet......
youngalumpony
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:29 am

the cost of home games has gone up considerably in college bball. Given our dismal fan support, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a home schedule loaded with teams like Texas State and Ark-Pine Bluff. It's what we can afford. Sure hope Coach Tubbs and this senior laden team can bring some excitement back to Moody.
Charleston Pony

UT Tyler match up

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:17 am

Here in East Texas, an SMU vs. UT Tyler game will get a lot of attention, but it sure is a step down for the ponies to play this team. Maybe there is a recruting angle in this one. :roll:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:14 pm

Well, if that is indeed the schedule... That is rather sad. Although watching SMU get completely rocked at OSU, at least it was on TV. Non of these games will be televised at all. Wake, OSU, Tech, and Purdue was a decent schedule last year.

CP, those good games were road games but we only had 12 home games last year if I recall.
Pony_Fan

Postby OldPony » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:54 am

UT Tyler????? Easy is one thing. That is ridiculous. No credit for a win there by any stretch. Hell, let's play Richardson Pearce (Skyline is too tough). I'm for getting a few easy wins but this is carrying it way too far. It won't help confidence and may even hurt if you think we once played the real UT and now are playing a UT that I didn't know existed.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby PK » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:23 am

Don't know anything about UT Tyler, but can it be much worse than Abilene Christian? Well maybe it can....
PK

Postby Waz » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:12 pm

Actually, we have added a South West Conference team by scheduling Tyler, albeit the 'American' SWC
Waz
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball