PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nunez available for MLS draft

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Nunez available for MLS draft

Postby PK » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:42 pm

Per DMN:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleges/smu/stories/011304dnsposmumls.b72f1ce.html

<small>[ 01-12-2004, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: PK ]</small>
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Nunez available for MLS draft

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:19 pm

More power to him... I just don't understand why kids these days don't value a college degree.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:44 pm

I'm sure the temptation to be a professional sports figure with all the things, like money, that go with that is very great...just hope they save lots of that money. At some point they will no longer be able to play the game due to injuries or just age...then what?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby GrapevineMustang » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:53 pm

Good point, PK!

Nuñez has as much talent as any player I've seen in the 20-plus years I've watched SMU soccer. But he needs some discipline in his game, and could benefit greatly from another year or two (or three) with Coach Hyndman. (And kudos to Coach Hyndman for handling this decision -- his second snub by a star freshman in 6 months -- so gracefully.)
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby EastStang » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:49 am

College soccer and professional soccer are much different. College soccer is more physical and dirtier. Players have no compunction about kicking an opponant in the achilles tendon. In professional soccer, they don't do that because they are talented enough not to and secondly, because they know that if they do it, retaliation will follow and it is their livelihood. He was inconsistent because he was pure flair and not very physical. I suspect Nunez will flourish in the pro ranks as other younger players have done. We knew coming in that he was a short termer.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Pony Up » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:08 pm

Either way, it's still a shame to lose him. Will he flourish right away, or would he be better off staying in school for another year or two and then going pro? Hard to say, but now we'll never know.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby Ikus » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:11 pm

Hey! Let's not forget that SMU's lone senior and captain last year, Kevin Hudson, also was drafted. Hudson was chosen by D.C. United, which means he'll be playing with Freddie Adu. I could think of worse jobs after college....

Good luck to Ramon and Kevin!
Ikus
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:54 pm

Nunez will most definately develop faster in the pros than in college. Pro soccer is definately a step up from college.

Also, I believe he was signed as a project-40, meaning that MLS is paying his salary and is committed to paying for him finishing his college degree at some point. Who could turn that down?
JasonB

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:23 pm

Hudson may find himself in the right place at the right time. Marco Etchevery retired which leaves a big mid-field hole for the United. If Hudson can step-up, he has a shot at some decent minutes.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Fresh » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:26 pm

Not to be negative, but Hudson has to make the team before we start talking about minutes. Granted, I think it's a major mistake on United's part if he doesn't make the team, because with his smarts and his size and strength, there's a definite role for him on that team, which doesn't have a large physical presence. But they also have a lot of young midfielders, and everything is going to be built around Freddy Adu, so how Hudson fares in an offense-first system will be interesting to watch.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby smuathlete » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:16 pm

Sorry guys...but Hudson has already signed a contract with Ernst & Young...he won't be playing soccer...
smuathlete

Return to Other Sports